cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reboot Reason

seawolffeng
Level 1
Level 1

my SPA509G reboot several times today. the Reboot History shows that the reboot reason is "System 4". What is that mean? Anyone knows?

28 Replies 28

Unable to find anything in the logs for that time. We checked and made sure the syslog server and the phones have the same times.

As I mentioned in the post that I updated, we are going to replace the phone as its been in service for over 3 years.

Power supply will be replaced as well.

We will see if that fixes the issue.

As you didn't disclosed the log captured, I can trust you there's nothing helpful inside only.

we are going to replace the phone

During the "swap test" the issue has not followed the phone. Thus I doesn't expect so much the replacing of phone will have an effect.

Have you a PC connected behind phone ? Disconnect it and try if it solve the issue.

I was thinking the same thing. I checked with them and they only changed the phone not the power supply. So after all that we have done, the power cord to the phone is the only thing still the same.

Have you a PC connected behind phone ? Disconnect it and try if it solve the issue.

If you mean that the Ethernet cable goes from the wall/switch to the phone then from the phone to the computer then yes.

We are unable to do that as they need the pc running during work hours. If it would happen consistently on a set time, then I would push for that. I have seen it go for 30 minutes and as long as almost 24 hours before the issue shows up.

They also dont want to run another cable to test this.

So this is really one of the only options left after all the troubleshooting we have done.

Also it could be someone just bumping one of the two cables to make this happen. We aren't on site when this happens so we cant confirm this either way.

As you didn't disclosed the log captured, I can trust you there's nothing helpful inside only.

I didnt look at it directly, just got the it looks good here response.

If this still doesnt fix the issue, then I guess I will look into the logs myself as they are still going and from my count have about 6+ of the system 4 errors.

You claim:

So after all that we have done, the power cord to the phone is the only thing still the same.

You also claim:

If you mean that the Ethernet cable goes from the wall/switch to the phone then from the phone to the computer then yes

So power cord is definitely not the only thing still the same.

There's no hardware switch inside of phone. Packets are software switched by CPU. So large number of small packets (either caused by virus on computer, remote DoS attack to it, a torrent software running on it) may overload the phone and may cause the system abend.

Of course, not only PC behind phone may be target of a network attack. It may be the phone itself as well. Ask local LAN administrator to check statistics and identify possible network issues.

You also claim:

If you mean that the Ethernet cable goes from the wall/switch to the phone then from the phone to the computer then yes

Sorry I missed spoke as it was setup that way before this issue happen. I had one of the techs show me how the network is currently setup. They are home runs from the phone and computers, and are on different physical networks.

Going from the phone to a patch panel, then to the switch then to the modem.

We by passed all that with a new known working patch cable for over 48 hours.

Issue was still present.

So im out of idea's at this time.

(also edited my previous post to remove the swap out power cord as that is the info that I got, but was then corrected by our customer it was never moved.)

Well, issue is tied to the desk, not to the phone. So it should be caused by something external to phone.

It can be

1. something that passed thru Ethernet. It include not only abusive packets but also possible electromagnetic noise that may induced to the Ethernet cable on broken switch or on the path

2. something that passed thru power cord. Electromagnetic noise or spikes. Vacuum cleaners (and other electro-motorised devices) are known to be possible source, but light dimmers and other devices may be source as well. Do not accept "we added no new device" argument. It require just one broken capacitor to turn kind device into source of strong noise. And it may have no apparent effect to device function so it's not noticeable. Under voltage caused by local overloading of mains network may cause issues.

3. local electromagnetic noise affecting phone over air - a mobile phone placed near SPA504G or a broken device placed close to phone,

Unfortunately, it's hard to identify a cause mentioned above. It require just try-and-evaluate approach which will take a lot of time ...

I updated my troubleshooting part of the forum.

Power supply change didnt fix it.

Replacement is the only thing we can do.

I understand that we would need to look into those 3 other ideas that you posted, but we have already spend over 2 months trying to get this to work and the customer is over it.

I wish we could reproduce it in our labs without interrupting the customer or spending hours after work to get it to work.

Replacement is the only thing we can do.

You did it already 23 days ago. And you reported it has not helped, the issue has been still on the same desk, despite the phone has been swapped with other one.

Try it, of course, but I have no reason to expect the second replacement will help if the first one has not helped. Good luck.

Dan I want to thank you for all the help you have given me.

I don't think it will fix the issue either, but from the customers perspective we aren't providing the service they are paying for.

Even though the service is separate from the phones themselves, they see it as that.

Trying to setup a way to reproduce the issue is difficult as all I get back is "it just happens."

Again, thanks for all the input and help to try and get the issue taken care of.

"it just happens."

All customers provide the same kind of feedback ;-)

It's why we are catching syslog&debug (at highest level possible) from all phones all the times. It may disclose what's happened with the phone before abend to you. It may not help, of course ...

Dan Miley
Level 3
Level 3

here's the list of reboot reasons, the post says ATAs but most of the reasons are the same.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/37056/spa-voice-debug-reboot-reason-list

0x00000004 parameter changes (through web, provisioning. For example when device's profile rule is changed...)
syslog log will show "reboot reason:W4"

This is caused by provisioning, so you can try uncheck 'provision enable' under admin-->advanced-->voice--> provisioning

or set resynch periodic to 0 (never)

-note these will both turn off your remote configuration by your provider -

or,

review the provisioning file and find out what is changing (date/timestamp, serial number, etc)  or if there are duplicate entrys turning a feature off and turning it back on later in the provisioning file.

hope this helps,

Dan

0x00000004 parameter changes (through web, provisioning. For example when device's profile rule is changed...)
syslog log will show "reboot reason:W4" - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/37056/spa-voice-debug-reboot-reason-list#sthash.3rXiA3F9.dpuf
syslog log will show "reboot reason:W4" - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/37056/spa-voice-debug-reboot-reason-list#sthash.3rXiA3F9.dpuf
syslog log will show "reboot reason:W4" - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/37056/spa-voice-debug-reboot-reason-list#sthash.ex7fiKuj.dpuf
syslog log will show "reboot reason:W4" - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/37056/spa-voice-debug-reboot-reason-list#sthash.ex7fiKuj.dpuf

Sorry for asking it, but are you responding as Cisco insider with access to reliable source of information, or you are just enthusiast/volunteer assuming the similarity between SPA IP Phone product line and ATA product line ?

I'm asking because as far as I know the "System 4" on ATA mean system abend/core dump and it has nothing to do with "reboot reason:W4" of SPA IP Phone.

Hallo

My problem are with this spa 112 are when i have put this online and contact my phone company an have call one time so my spa 112 going down. i can no call to my analog phone with spa 112 from my iPhone or adder phone but i can call from my analog phone to my iPhone. Whats are problem

SPA112 is SPA ATA not the SPA IP Phone. You are off-topic here. Please ask in appropriate community.

Don't forget to provide issue details. E.g. logs and captures SIP packets. I'm glad to help you, but I'm no prophet. You need to provide informations, I will try to analyze them. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: