cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Site Decisions

jeffmastry
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 10 user remote site with a leased point-to-point connection (10Mb with approximately 10ms round-trip time for pings). The line is used mostly for RDP (terminal server) traffic and it's usually somewhere between 10% and 25% utilization (although it can reach 80%+ spikes during our busy season). This remote site currently has a separate phone system.

We are considering moving to the BE3000 for both sites, but need to decide if we should manage two separate BE3000 installations or go with a central solution. We would like to do occasional video calls between sites and dial remote extensions with 4 digits. Paging between sites would be nice as well (but not a requirement).

I am concerned about the remote site being dependant on the central site for calls and voicemail. I would prefer the systems be self-contained, but it's not clear what features we lose by going this route. Managing two separate systems is not a problem for us.

5 Replies 5

jeffmastry
Level 1
Level 1

I should have mentioned that the remote site has 6 analog lines. The central site has a single T1.

jeffmastry
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I'll try asking a specific question then.

Are video calls supported (or possible) between two separate BE3000 systems?

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

You can either have a BE3K in central site and another in remote site, with both systems connected with a SIP trunk. This will require separate configuration and management of two systems as independent ones. You can setup abbreviated dialing between the sites. Video calling is possible between the sites, provided there is enough bandwidth (which looks like u have). You will need 8.6.4 release, if you also require local pstn breakout from the two sites.

Sanjay

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you very much of the information. I have one follow up question for you:

Is a separate Cisco Unified Border Element device required to setup the SIP trunk or can the BE3K appliance handle this directly?

Thank you again.

It can handle directly. However if you have firewall/NAT traversal issues between sites, then a CUBE will be required.

Thanks