cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single Number Reach Question...

pgirard77
Level 1
Level 1

This may be the feature they're talking about in the next releaseCCA 3.0 , but here is the scenario..

Phone setup with Single number reach to cell phone.

The call goes to phone then to cell phone, but the cell phone's voicemail picks up causing the call to go to the cell phone voicemail and not back to the phone's voicemail.

CCA 2.2.5 used.

Also, in blast groups this appears to be happening as well.

Thanks

Pat

22 Replies 22

The production system that I successfully tested with SNR uses FXO connections to the PSTN.

I just retested a minute ago by calling the SNR enabled extension from another internal extension AND by calling the SNR enabled extension from an outside line and going through my normal AA prompts; the SNR triggered consistently.

The Cisco document Brandon references may need editing or it could work in some cases, like mine, but may not be a supported configuration for global use.

Raymond

SNR triggered consistently and you were able to call forward no answer to CUE voicemail?

Brandon

Yes. Here's the full ephone-dn (well, except for my cell number)

ephone-dn  10  octo-line
number 201 no-reg primary
pickup-group 1
label 201
description Raymond Doucette
name Raymond Doucette
mobility
snr 81727xxxxxxx delay 5 timeout 30 cfwd-noan 601
call-forward busy 601
call-forward noan 601 timeout 20

It's a bit annoying that my desk phone continues to ring for the full 35 seconds even if I answer my cell phone immediately, bit presumably I'm not supposed to be there anyway.

The appearance on my 7970 phone is as if the call had been placed on hold and I can pull the call back from my cell phone by pressing the "Resume" softkey.

The appearance on my SNR-targeted cell phone is that the call is from my office number - nothing I can with that since I am using FXO.

I've tested every behavior I described in my SNR postings.

Raymond

Your surprise caused me to do additional testing...

I found an interesting failure mode that might explain why Cisco doesn't support FXO for SNR.

If all of my FXO lines except 1 are currently in use on other calls something interesting happens:

I call the office from an outside line, consuming the final FXO port,  and use the AA to get forward to my SNR-enabled desk phone.

The desk phone rings for 5 seconds.

After 5 seconds my desk phone stops ringing, the cell phone ring back tone stops and the cell phone ends the call after another 5 seconds or so.

Basically, the call fails.

So if you have SNR configured with FXO and you are down to your final line, the caller will get dropped.

Presumably you could accomodate this through proper Erlang design, at which point you should probably be moving on to T1 or SIP trunks.

Raymond

Raymond,

Thanks for posting your findings. My surprise was not the SNR will work with FXO. I've seen this work. However, Cisco documentation seems to say that there will be no ability to pull the call back to CUE for voicemail. I haven't tested this recently. I was just under the impression that it would not work. Good to know that this has been verified to work.

Brandon

Actually it turns out to be a little more complicated than that....

This was set up some time ago and I've been looking at my configs and other details to refresh...

Here's what's happening:

A. My cell phone is set up to forward non answered calls to a specific office number

B. My office is set up to forward non-answered calls to my cell

C. If I don't answer any phone the voice mail stays at the office.

How'd I do it?

Well I had to spend about an hour re-studying my config. The story:

Step 1: Set up your UC500 to allow transferring calls directly into voice mail by preceding the extension number with a single digit, in my case: 5

(CCA: Configure->Telephony->Voicemail->Direct Transfer)

Step 2:Set up one of your available FXO lines to forward directly to your voice mail: in my case 5201

(CCA: Configure->Telephony->Dialplan->Incoming->4FXO-0/0/1->Operator->5201)

Step 3: Use GSM feature codes on your cell phone (in my case, an iPhone) to precisely set CFNA to forward to the FXO number in step 2

I used: *61*[dest]*[sec]# to set the CFNA feature (more precise than using the built-in menu)

There's a web page here that explains GSM codes: http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/secrets/gsmcodes.php

(You can use *#61# to query current status)

Step 4: Configure SNR on your desktop phone to forward to your cell phone from step 3.

(CCA: Applications->Smart Applications->Single Number Reach->Raymond->201->81727xxxxxxx)

Step 5: Mess with timers until you like the results

and finally

Step 6: Review your ENTIRE config and the config of your test cell phones before answering questions

My bad - my production system is also my lab and I have done some weird things to see how I can push it.

So in theory I can get the end result I need, but the config is the UC500 equivalent of an OK Go video.

Raymond

Fast answer for John:

Using softpack 8.0.4 and CCA 2.2.5 to configure SNR to my cell phone works fine on my production system.

Long answer for those who are just reading the thread and want to learn more about SNR:

My observations:

When I call my cell directly, voicemail will answer in 20 seconds.

When I call my office phone without SNR enabled, voicemail will answer in 20 seconds.

I configure mobility with a 5 second delay and a 30 second timeout

This is pretty much the maximum value I can use while ensuring the cell phone voicemail will not capture the call.

When I call my office phone with SNR enabled my desk phone rings first, about 10 seconds or so later my cell phone rings.

PSTN/cellular call setup delays means that my cell will never start ringing at exactly 5 seconds, so I use that knowledge to bump up my timeout value.

(I use AT&T, so sometimes it's even 15 seconds before my iPhone rings)

After 35 seconds total my office voicemail captures the call and my clients leave a message on the CUE.

My cell phone rings for 15 - 20 seconds each time a SNR call comes in.

The cell phone end-user experience when receiving a SNR call is consistent with a direct call and I don't have to be extra quick on the answer key if I decide to take the call.

Relevent config snippet is: (using x to hide digits)

ephone-dn  10  octo-line

mobility

snr 81727xxxxxxx delay 5 timeout 30 cfwd-noan 601

call-forward noan 601 timeout 20

Raymond

Thanks guys... at least someone has this working..  because no matter what I do I can not.  Also at all of my clients sites...  PRI or POTS (FXO).  I have FXO POTS at my office and it does not work.

I had "snr 9203XXXXXXX delay 4 timeout 10"

now I have added "snr 9203XXXXXXX delay 4 timeout 10 cfwd-noan 3001"

I restarted and still wont work.  My cell RINGS about 15 times before it goes into Cell Phone Voicemail.  I even have bumped up the time to voicemail on my cell phone using AT&T key combinations so it takes longer to go to voice mail.  I have placed timeout down to 5 secs.. on the SNR settings as well..  Just doesnt work.  I guess I will try to upgrade to the latest and see.

Brandon - I do see it says that the CFWD-NOAN does not work within the SNR commands... but since some other guys show it in their configs...  I just decided to try it.