cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP trunks from multiple countries but only one dial plan?

stewilliamson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the whole voice setup so apologies if this is a stupid question. I really enjoyed the UC320W training session in Perth on the 28th September and am tinkering around with a test unit.

I've configured one SIP trunk and can get that working ok, but on the training session I heard David mention that he has multiple trunks so he can, for example, have a local Australian number, and a local UK number.

How does this work on the UC320 where I can only configure one dial-plan for the device? In getting the UK SIP trunk to work I had to change the dialplan from Australia to UK, so now if I wanted to add an Australian SIP trunk none of the outward dialling codes would work.

Thanks in advance

Steve.

4 Replies 4

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Right now you need to allocate a separate steering digit to allow users to selectively use that trunk.  For example, if you currently have 0 assigned to the local SIP trunk, you would assign 8 say, to the UK SIP trunk.  Then you inform the users that if they are making calls to Europe, dial 8 instead of 0.  It's not a perfect solution, but it works reasonably well, and should meet the needs until we have support for least cost routing.  I don't have a timeframe for LCR at this stage, but it is definitely something the product team are aware of and working on fitting it in to the roadmap.

Cheers,

Dave.

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok, just reread your question, and you can ignore most of what I just said above. :(

You raise a valid point: the scenario I was talking about in the training is mostly intended for allowing foreign customers and contacts to have a local number to call you on.  Generally speaking, there should be a catch-all route sitting in the dialplan to match on unknown patterns once inter-digit timeout expires, but it is possible that one hasn't been included in the AU dialplan for the UC320.  I'll talk to the team and see if this is the case, and see if we can do something about it.

Cheers,

Dave.

OK no worries, and thanks for the quick reply!

I can't see many of our potential customers wanting this feature anyway (surely if they've got offices in different countries then the business is a bit bigger than the target audience for the UC320?)

cheers

Steve

True, it is a bit of a niche requirement.  It does come up from time to time though, often in the most unexpected of places.

Cheers,

Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: