cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Skype for Sip Configuration

ciscojoe837
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to configure Skype for sip using IP authentication -- not User Name and Password.  Skype gives the option of authentication methods so I'd like to use the IP authentication because I already have an ITSP using Name and Password authentication.

The Skype document only shows the config steps using User Name and password.  When I go to my Skype Control panel it doesn't show that I'm registered even though I entered the public IP address of my uc520.  I'm wondering if there is another "handshake" that I'm missing somewhere on the UC.

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Only username/password authentication has been tested with Skype.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Guys,

I use SIP for Skype and it works extremely well. On the SIP control pannel in Skype you can choose IP or username and password authentication.

I use the username and password athentication and it works with no issues for me.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

The help needed is for IP Authentication:  "I'm looking to configure Skype for sip using IP authentication -- not User Name and Password."

Thanks anyway.

Just sent you a Skype message... I have the techs from skype as contacts in my skype maybe we could have a 3 way chat to assist from the Skype side?

What else did you enter in the CCA config to make Skype work with a username and password?

I used sip.skype.com for proxy and registrat server, CCA required DNS and domain so I used 4.2.2.2 and skype.com

I used the assigned digest username and password.

I guess as I havent registered a channel yet that the user credentials havent been used so far.

I am interested to hear how you set it up.

Thanks,

Johnny

Has anyone been able to make this work with CCA 2.2.5 and the minimal information that skype connect gives you?

username, password, sip server, and port?

Thanks

CCA works with the Skype template.  You have to setup the channel first on the Skype side for sure.

Here is the doc.

Thanks for your recent posts.

I have already seen this document. CCA 2.2.5 does not require the import of the XML page for skype but requires more information than what skype provides you. In any case I followed all steps in the document and the channel will not register with the sip server.

I setup SKYPE using page 10 of the document and followed the troubleshooting for the sip trunks.

I ran a debug and only saw REGISTER messages, not an invite or anything else, just the same register message over and over again.

I am not planning to use IP Auth as its not supported by CCA AND in this case I dont have a static address.

I am hoping Marcos or Steve can tell me what else I need to do in CCA to make it work. The published document is hopelessly outdated and I used it and it didnt work.

Thanks

Johnny

Andrey Cassemiro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Whe can work to configure this in the CLI, it's preatty simple but you have to be aware about something.

- If you use only IP auth, you'll be unsafe once anyone can do an IP spoof and use your skype account.

- When you use IP auth, it doesn't show that the line is registered, because on the IP auth scheme it doens't request a register, every call that you do, your equipment sends an INVITE to Skype and skype proxy checks if the IP is allowed to make the call. There is no registration process.

Please, let me know if you really desire to do this, if yes, please telnet your UC run a "show run" and send me (in private) without any passwords and confidencial configs, a copy of the running config, i will guide you how to proceed.

Thanks,

Regards.

Andrey Cassemiro.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: