Views
Helpful
Replies

SMART Design for SMB 300 Series Switch for UC300 Solution

bryan.neese
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I attended the Meet the Engineers Webex session yesterday (3/18/11) and posted a question during that time regarding useage of the 300 series switches and the UC320.  The resulting answers was that a SMART Design guide was published and available.  I have since downloaded the guide and connected my lab UC320 and SG 300-28P in the directed design, yet I still see that my 525g2 and 504 handsets will not correctly register with the UC320.  I've even gone as far as to register the handsets via the 320 first, then try to connect them to the switch, still the handsets will not register.  I've searched teh design guides for both the 300 series switches and the Uc 320 and can find no other method nor guide to correct this.  Is there any other documentation available or are we still stuck until the firware update?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bryan,

Assuming that you started with factory defaulted phones and factory defaulted SG 300-28P and you are using the UC320W in a network topology where the UC320W route voice and data, the basic steps to get the switch running in a UC320W environment are:

Create VLAN 100. Apply.

Go to Port to VLAN page, change the VLAN to 100.  IMPORTANT!!!:  Hit the GO button.

Change all ports for phone AND the uplink port to the UC320W as tagged on VLAN 100.  Apply.

Save the configuration on the switch.

Connect the uplink port to the UC320 switchport.

Connect your phones to the SG 300 switch.

There are several other steps in the document but the above will get your phones connected and basic functionality working.  When done look at the IP addresses on the phones, they should be on the voice subnet (10.1.1.x by default).

Hope this helps,

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Bryan,

Assuming that you started with factory defaulted phones and factory defaulted SG 300-28P and you are using the UC320W in a network topology where the UC320W route voice and data, the basic steps to get the switch running in a UC320W environment are:

Create VLAN 100. Apply.

Go to Port to VLAN page, change the VLAN to 100.  IMPORTANT!!!:  Hit the GO button.

Change all ports for phone AND the uplink port to the UC320W as tagged on VLAN 100.  Apply.

Save the configuration on the switch.

Connect the uplink port to the UC320 switchport.

Connect your phones to the SG 300 switch.

There are several other steps in the document but the above will get your phones connected and basic functionality working.  When done look at the IP addresses on the phones, they should be on the voice subnet (10.1.1.x by default).

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Actually, I do believe you were the one that was kind enough to answer my question and point me in this direction yesterday. So, here's a little update from the first post:

I called the PDS help line and talked to Richard at SBSC.  We worked through the design guide and triple-checked my steps and settings.  Everything according to the guide was done and correct.  We then changed the LLDP settings for the ports to Auto Advertise and this seemed to work.  Before the change, I could register the handsets to the UC320 and then move at least the 525 over, but not the 504.  After adding the LLDP change, the 504 worked and registered on the 300 switch.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,

Appreciate the follow-up.  I've asked some engineers to take the doc back into the lab along with the information you have provided.

thanks,

Chris

No problem and thanks for your assistance.  Just as a point-of-interest, the same setup will work on a UC520 and UC540 (Iassume also a 560, but I don't have a one in my lab to test).  The 7900 series handsets will take a bit longer than normal to load and register, but at least you no longer have to manually enter the VLAN information.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bryan,

I think if you look above and see a banner you will notice that all 300 and 500 series switches need to update to the latest firmware in order for them to work with the UC-320W.

Have you done this yet?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hey David,

That was the very first thing I did, aside from physically connecting to the switch, power and UC320.  Also, the latest firmware release for the 300 series switches was back in September of 2010, pending the next one slated for sometime May/June.  In my earlier posting, I mentioned that while working with SBSC, we figured out that Auto Advertiset had to be enabled on the port for LLDP for the 504 to register. Right now though, I have gotten it to work with a UC320W, UC520 and UC540, after enabling the afore mentioned change.

Thanks,

Bryan