cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA-504G Random Reboot

bbusinocisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have 6 SPA-504G's on my lan.  All running firmware 7.4.4.  One of these phones reboots exactly every 24 hours.  The DHCP lease for the network is set to 12 hours.  All have identical provisioning xml files (save for the extension info).  Attached is the provisioning file and SYSLOG & Debug dump for the phone.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  I have seen reference to Short_Name_1 being duplicated and that causing the issue but I cannot find that parameter anywhere.

13 Replies 13

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Sir;

I have not seen anything major on trace or configuration, but this may be caused by three issues:

(1) Network issue, e.g. IP address change on lease

(2) Configuration issue

(3) Phone is broken.

In order to troubleshoot it:

For (1) Please check whether the IP address is changing between reboots. Check also other parameters such as DNS entries, default gateways, etc.

For (2) please remove the config file, check if phone reboots. If it does not then there is something in the file which has an error. You can also check it by assigning this file to another phone and see the behavior. If the new phone does not reboot, then it is likely a phone issue

If the issue is not in (1) or (2) then you can consider phone is broken.

Regards
Alberto

The IP Address does not change between reboots. I know there was some issue I have read about it being related to the IP lease expiring and not being able to renew on the same IP but the IP does not change.

When you say remove the config file, what exactly do I need to do.  Remove it from the provisioning server?  From the Phone?  Please explain more.

adam.baird
Level 1
Level 1

Bradley.

Your phones are rebooting every 24 hours because they are resyncing their configuration file.

You'll notice the following line in your config file:

<Resync_Periodic group="Provisioning/Configuration_Profile">86400Resync_Periodic>

86400 seconds = 24 hours.

You can test by changing this value and seeing what happens.

-Adam

All of the phones have the same file (with the exception of the extension number and name).  Everything else is exactly the same. 

I can try changing that value but I don't think that is related to the phone doing a cold reboot every 24 hours.  Could it  be related to the PC that is hooked to the phone? 

I don't think the phone is defective.  I have cycled 3 phones (2 of them brand new) and it is just this user that is experiencing the issue.  The same phone provisioned to a  different user and plugged into a different desk does not reboot.

So, after changing the Resync_Periodic to 60 (seconds), the phone resyncs every 60 seconds and reboots.  The provisioning file obviously does not change between reboots and the file is identical to all the others on the network (that do not exibit the same behavior), except for the extension number and pin.

The IP address does not change between reboots either. 

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Any suggestions for next steps for troubleshooting?

UPDATE:

Did a factory reset, set the Resync Period to 60 in the provisioning file, and provisioned the phone from the file without making ANY changes to the phone after the first provisioning.  So far, the phone has not rebooted.  The previous behavior was a reboot every 60 seconds. 

Is it possible that if you make changes to the phone (via the web interface) after it is provisioned with a file it causes the phone to reboot after a resync because the phone profile is different from the file???

charlton
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem on my SPA941.  It randomly reboots throughout the day.

Seems to happen a lot right during an incomming call after the phone starts ringing but before I can pick up.  But it does sometimes reboot as well when there is no incomming call.  I'm on the latest 5.1.8 firmware

Yeah, I thought I had the problem licked but it seems I do not.  All of the phones on the network have the same firmware, same provisioning file (save for the extension/password info), run on the same switch, etc.

I've pretty much given up on it at this point unless anyone has some light to shed...

If this were happening to me I think my next step would be to set up the phone to send syslog messages.  I would be curious to see what messages if any are generated just before the reboot.  Maybe that would shed light on the behavior.

I know this is a fairly old topic, but if anyone is monitoring it then I would like to point out that I have this very same issue with my Cisco IP Phone SPA504G. I have been trying on and off to find a solution for this for over a year now. I've managed to get by till now with the reboots happening when I was not on a call, but recently it happened whilst I was in the middle of an important call and prompted me to seach around the internet for a solution and I stumbled across this albeit dated discussion. Has there been any update or solution to this?

I have two phones on the network that are still doing it.  Set them to reboot/resync in the middle of the night and that seems to keep it from happening mid-day.  Probabl not the answer you were looking for.

Hi David,

Make sure that you're running current SPA504G firmware. (7.4.9).

You don't mention what call control or the provisioning method you're using. As a best practice, the phone's provisioning file/s should be minimalistic, and only contain changes specifically needed to achieve the desired behavior. Cisco SPA phones use sane defaults so there's no need to provision a parameter that is already set from a factory default. Reboots are usually caused by the following: reboot command issued via phone's web-UI, reboot from phone's interface, parameter changed due to provisioning. The following describes which parameters when changed, will cause the phone to reboot:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13059

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Thanks B.Busino and Patrick for such a prompt response particually since I joined the thread over a year after Busino's original post

Anyway, I switch my phone off everynight anyway so Guess there'e no need to set it to resync at any specific time.

Patrick: thanks for the heads up as I was still on FW 7.4.8a so I'll upgrade it after work.

However, I have never touched the provisioning function since I got the phone as I do not use this function. I only ever use the web interface or phone settings for adding the network settings etc for VOIP accounts.

this thread has encouraged me to explore the Tab labelled 'Provisioning' and I have noted the following settings:-

Provision Enable: 'yes'

Resync Random Delay:  '2'

Resync Periodic: '3600'

Forced Resync Delay: '14400'

Resync After Upgrade Attempt: 'yes'

Resync On Reset: 'yes'

Resync At (HHmm): na

Resync Error Retry Delay:  '3600'

Resync From SIP: 'yes'

Resync Fails On FNF: 'yes'

Profile Rule: '/spa$PSN.cfg'

DHCP Option To Use: '66,160,159,150'

Log Resync Request Msg: '$PN $MAC -- Requesting resync $SCHEME://$SERVIP:$PORT$PATH'

Log Resync Success Msg:' $PN $MAC -- Successful resync $SCHEME://$SERVIP:$PORT$PATH'

Log Resync Failure Msg: '$PN $MAC -- Resync failed: $ERR'

Since I don't believe I am using any 'Provisioning' functions. If I just set 'Provioson Enable' to 'No' would that solve my problem?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: