Helpful
Replies

SPA303 Firmware Upgrade Error

peterbata
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. First time post.

A little bit about my environment.

Windows 7 Pro home use. No antivirus. Very simple home setup. Launching the update from my laptop. Phone is plugged into a switch on the same subnet. Phone IP = 192.168.0.223. Laptop IP 192.168.0.100. I am able to browse phone settings via browser at http://192.168.0.223

I am attempting to apply Firmware update v7.6.1 to my SPA303. It is currently showing v7.5.2 as the current version. I have downloaded the appropriate files the Cisco firmware download section.

I execute spa50x-30x-7-4-6.exe / the upgrade process begins but always results in this:

After scouring the internet for a while I came across this, but it has not helped either

The solution, through trial and error, was to use a URL pointing to a web server that had the .bin file on it.  In my case, I had a local web server that I copied the file to and then used the URL:

http://MySPAAddr/upgrade?http://mywebserver/theSPAupdatefile.bin

Your time and assistance would be greatly apppreciated. Thank you all in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You claimed:

I execute spa50x-30x-7-4-6.exe

It is 7.4.6 file, thus downgrade from 7.5.2

If you wish to upgrade to 7.6.1, use 7-6-1 exe file.

Note no pre 7.5.2b firmware can be upgraded to a post 7.5.2b version. You should read firmware's Release Note before an upgrade.

Edited later: Better to say - no pre 7.5.2b firmware can be upgraded to a post 7.5.2b version in one step. You need to upgrade to 7.5.2b first, then to something more recent

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Although you are claiming upgrade, you are trying to downgrade the phone. But not all recent hardware revisions of the phone are supported by ancient firmware versions like 7.4.6.

Note the downgrade is unsupported operation by Cisco unless you are ordered to do it by SMB Support center. Downgrade of phone beyond the factory version is not recommended even unofficially.

Note the downgrade may brick your phone with no way to repair it.

Hello Dan.First off, thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I am having difficulty understanding how my going from version 7.5.2 to version 7.6.1 is a downgrade. Am I missing something here?

I don't recall having mentioned version 7.4.6 either. 

Peter

You claimed:

I execute spa50x-30x-7-4-6.exe

It is 7.4.6 file, thus downgrade from 7.5.2

If you wish to upgrade to 7.6.1, use 7-6-1 exe file.

Note no pre 7.5.2b firmware can be upgraded to a post 7.5.2b version. You should read firmware's Release Note before an upgrade.

Edited later: Better to say - no pre 7.5.2b firmware can be upgraded to a post 7.5.2b version in one step. You need to upgrade to 7.5.2b first, then to something more recent

Hello again Dan. You are absolutely right. I did say that I executed "spa50x-30x-7-4-6.exe". I should re-read my own posts. I don't even recall having downloaded that executable. In any case, I thank you for the information. I am at version 7.5.2b and all is functioning as it should. Have a wonderful day! Peter

7.5.2b is ancient and know to be buggy. Consider to upgrade to something more recent unless you have a reason not to do it.

Understood. Thank you again. Much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: