cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA500DS on UC320W (or just admin access to the phones)

Elliott Willink
Level 1
Level 1

So the UC520W doesn't detect the SPA500DS 30 line console at all it seems. It detects the phone, and the side console comes online, however in the UC320W interface it doesn't detect.

I logged into the phone, and the UC320W has locked down admin access to the web interface, meaning you cannot edit the attendant console through the web interface either.

This means the only way I can add or remove information, is manually through the phone's interface (EXCEPTIONALLY tedious!)

So what now?? Cisco pre-sales advised there would be no issues, and now I have 16 phones and attendant consoles ready to go that are pretty much useless to me :/

18 Replies 18

Hi Ellot,

The SPA500DS is not supported with SPA phones under the control of UC320W.  The only supported sidecar with the UC320W is the SPA500S.

Chris

Wow.. really? Thanks Cisco Presales for the good advice

This information isn't published anywhere online  either.. Not only is it not detected by the UC320W, but the UC320  actually breaks the functionality of it (you can't use the web interface  of the phone).

Do you know Is it possible to get a platform  modification file for the UC320 to enable admin access on the phones so I  can at least program them through the web interface?

Hi Ellott,

Since all of the provisioning of the phones is handled by the UC320W Configuration Utility, the access on the phone web pages are mostly read only.  The phone configuration files are stored and managed on the UC320W to ease the management of the phones.  Additionally, all SPA phone firmware is bundled as part of the UC320W firmware image.

I'm pretty sure you won't find anywhere in the UC320W documentation suite that says we support the digital sidecars in the UC300 solution.  The latest firmware release of UC320W firmware did add support for the new SPA512 and SPA514 phones.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The UC320W says it specifically supports the entire suite of SPA300 and 500 phones, and the side-car says it supports the SPA500.

Unless there is a plan to support it with the next firmware upgrade, Cisco should note that the SPA500DS is specifically NOT compatible with the SPA500 if you connect it to a UC320W. Also someone might want to let cisco presales know.

Hi Chris,

So after some testing, if I manually tell the phone system the phone has a side-car (as in program it manually with one), I can add extensions to the SPA500DS that persist after reboots (assuming I don't acknowledge the phone system's insistence the side car has been removed every time I log into the web interface). Only issue is I can't program names into the text fields (just the extension number shows) as the UC320 thinks it is a SPA500S and doesn't have a field for it..

So it appears to me there is no technical hurdle to using the side cars, only that basic device support hasn't been programmed in yet.

Any idea on the ETA for this support to be added?

Thanks,

Elliott

We now have several customers that, too, have seen SPA500DS's on the Cisco site and data sheets. They specifically ask about using those with their UC320 and SPA phones--as they like the aesthetics over the 500S model.

Is there any beta code that would allow us to have these recognized and usable with the UC320--even selectively as one-off for customers???  (or even partners, as us?)

Chet Prokop, PE, PhD
Cisco Select Partner

IT and Telecom Services - SMB
Houston, TX

Chet Prokop, PE, PhD
Cisco Select Partner
SMB - IT and Telecom Services
Houston, TX

Hi Chet;

The SPA500DS is not supported. Currently it is not scheduled for a short term future support, so customers should be encourage to buy the SPA500S model instead. We dont have an ETA for a BETA software.

Regards;

Alberto

Please see the below link. This clearly says that 500DS is design for 3rd Party Call Controllers and Cisco Small Business Pro Unified Communications 320 and 500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10499/prod_models_comparison.html

I have UC320W and It still does not detects the SPA500DS module. I called Cisco Small business and the person told me that it supports only SPA500S model. Not sure why Cisco advertise wrong information on their website.

Jay Shah

Hi Jay,

I'd like to help get the information corrected however, from the link provided I see no reference to UC320W.  Perhaps the wrong link was included in the post?   I took a quick look at the spec sheets on the 500DS from that page and don't see any reference to UC320 in the 500DS documentation.

Cheers,

Chris

Please open the below link and compare SPA 500S and SPA 500DS model. at the end you will see the both models are design for 3rd Party Call Controllers and Cisco Small Business Pro Unified Communications 320 and 500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10499/prod_models_comparison.html

Jay Shah

Thanks Jay.  I see it now.  I've reached out to our marketing folks to get it corrected.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Chris

Hi Jay,

Compare tool has been updated.

Thanks,

Chris

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I found out the hard way that the UC320 and SPA500DS are not compatible I have also read about the SPA500DS and UC500 not being compatible either so why did Cisco release this product for what purpose exactly?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Jack, The SB portfolio doesn't revolve around UC. There are thousands and thousands of users who do not use UC500/300 products but do use the SB phones.

The small business phones are pretty feature rich and aesthetically pleasing which can satisfy many markets and work quite well for a very good price.

These phones are also sold to major service providers for their VOIP customers. There is a very large picture to the SPA voice products, the UC300/500 is just a corner piece, not the whole picture.

Although I'd agree as well, it would be cool if they did update software to support the DS and help make it a more complete solution for products that are bundled together.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: