Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G (7.6.2e) EXT1-EXT4 Malfunction

Loichtfoier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks!

I've configured four different lines. All are displayed in the Info menu (Web) correctly as registered. But something is wrong. Only EXT1 is available in the phone. You can call and be called. The EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 lines are signalled as busy when a call is received. The Auth-ID of EXT1 is shown four times in the display.

I have reset several times and paid attention to the current version. Also I have tried to test only EXT2, only EXT3 and only EXT4. Without success. If I deactivate EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, nothing changes. It remains as shown. Is this a hardware error? Can I use a special diagnostic software?

Would be grateful for any help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

OK. You said "I've configured four different lines". I assume the configuration you created has been based on an assignment and documentation provided by VoIP operator. Can you share it ?

Also, disclose current configuration, you can retrieve it in http://<IP_address_of_phone>/admin/spacfg.xml

Note it may contain sensitive information.

Just blind shot - have you assigned a Line Keys to every Extension configured on Phone tab ?

View solution in original post

Hello again!

>> Just blind shot - have you assigned a Line Keys to every Extension configured on Phone tab ?

That was the solution! I understood that only after my answer. There you have to assign each EXT Line (1, 2, 3, 4) accordingly. All were on 1 and had $USER as value. I changed that and now everything works perfectly. 

Thanks again for your expertise!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume configuration issue. But you disclosed no configuration, so you are on your own. Note that

1) full debug captured

and

2) capture of SIP packets

may help you to analyze the issue in full.

Thank you very much for your quick answer!
Please tell me exactly what you need to help me. Remember that we ordinary mortals can't understand all the devices in this world and how and where to recognize the problems. ;o)

OK. You said "I've configured four different lines". I assume the configuration you created has been based on an assignment and documentation provided by VoIP operator. Can you share it ?

Also, disclose current configuration, you can retrieve it in http://<IP_address_of_phone>/admin/spacfg.xml

Note it may contain sensitive information.

Just blind shot - have you assigned a Line Keys to every Extension configured on Phone tab ?

Hello again!

>> Just blind shot - have you assigned a Line Keys to every Extension configured on Phone tab ?

That was the solution! I understood that only after my answer. There you have to assign each EXT Line (1, 2, 3, 4) accordingly. All were on 1 and had $USER as value. I changed that and now everything works perfectly. 

Thanks again for your expertise!

Glad to hear you solved it.

Just note your configuration seems not to be optimal for VoIP operator from Germany.

G711u codec should not be the most preferred codec, it should be G711a.

I'm almost sure the RTP Packet Size 0.030 is wrong in your environment, it should be 0.020 instead.

Also time settings seems to be incorrect for your location.

It's up to you - even not so good configuration may be enough for you. Voice quality may be lower (especially for long-distance calls), DTMF may not work, ...

Hello Dan!

For the final evaluation I would like to thank you quite cordially. I have attached the picture with the setting as given by my provider. RTP packages and codecs are not mentioned anywhere. This means that he probably only used the default settings here. Maybe he was glad that it works with Cisco IP Phones at all. :-P

The suggested settings I made and also recommended my provider to improve accordingly. Maybe this solves some problems with other VoIP devices that customers use with him. I have also created and configured a few WAV tones. Finally I've got a full IP phone for my office work at home <3.

Incidentally, I've now changed all regional settings, including menu navigation in German. If you still have any suggestions, don't hold back. If I've learned anything in life, it's to trust the experts. :o)

Greetings, Franz.

Srivo dall'Italia

Hi, I connect to this post because I have a similar problem:
It affects the configuration of Cisco phones. I thought it was simple but I don't know if it's feasible.
I purchased a Cisco spa9000 PBX and 4 spa504g voip phones. I entered in the 9000 the parameters of 4 voip lines L1 L2 L3 L4 (<: L1> 9xx. | <: L2> 8xx. | <: L3> 7xx. | <: L4> 6xx.)
By default when you dial 9 the switchboard calls through the first available line.
I modified these values ​​so that with 9 he calls on L1 - with 8 on L2 and with 7 on L3 and 6 with L4.
So far so good
I connected the four phones and everything works so far.
The spa504g telephones have 4 buttons for the lines next to the display and pressing them one at a time only activates the signal that invites you to dial the internal number or 9 or 8 or 7 or 6 for the external line. It would be necessary to program them so that key 1 connects to L1, key 2 to L2, key 3 to L3 and key 4 to L4
I enter the web page through their ip but I don't know what to write in the Line Key 1 2 3 4. The function would be that pressing L2 you hook external 2. L3 hooks the external 3 and external L4 4. In addition, the Line Key Led Pattern fields should also be filled with strings to indicate the color of the LED when a line is engaged which must also be signaled on the other devices.
Thank you

You should not hijack closed/solved thread. Especially when your problem doesn't look so similar.

SPA504G doesn't not understands all the L1...L4 magic (as well as 9,8,7,6 prefixes) your described.

ExtN of phone will connect to the configured proxy using configured name and password. Line Key M can be bound to ExtN by configuration. Thats all.

It seems the critical part of your text is:

It would be necessary to program them so that key 1 connects to L1, key 2 to L2, key 3 to L3 and key 4 to L4

As i said already, Line Key M can be bound to ExtN while ExtN can register to SIP account of SPA9000. Four Ext mean your SIP accounts on SPA9000. The rest of processing is up to SPA9000. I'm not familiar with SPA9000, so I'm unable to advise with it.

Line key can monitor state of other line, including the external one, as long as there's a server providing a state of line monitored. e parameters (those you need to configure on phone) depends on server (I assume SPA9000 ) requirements.   ,

Thanks for the clarification, but as it is the first time that I program voip phones and what I don't know how to register in ext1, ext2 .... on Line key 1, 2 3, 4 of the phone. I tried but the phone goes silent.
Sorry for continuing to write on a closed post. Next time I will open a new discussion.
Thank you.

I don't know how to register in ext1, ext2 .... on Line key 1, 2 3, 4 of the phone. I tried but the phone goes silent.

You tried what exactly ? And what you mean "goes silent" ?

Each Line Key M have Extension configuration option. In define binding of Line Key M to Ext N.

Hi, I did a factory reset to 504. Upon restarting, the key line LEDs light up green and all 4 lock on the L1 and the phone works regularly: 9 on L1 - 8 L2 etc. Entering the 504 web page I saw that in ext 1 in proxy and registration there is the proxy of the pbx 9000 while in ext 2, 3 and 4 the field is empty. I inserted ip of 9000 in ext 2, 3 and 4- then I went to Phone and in Line key 2, 3, 4 I changed extension from 1 to 2,3,4 but in Share Call Appearance and in Extended Function I don't know what to put. I'd like to tell 504 to use the 9000 as a server. I know I'm wrong, but unfortunately I don't know any Cisco technician who can help me in the configuration. I have read the installation manual but I have not found any reference examples. I thank you for your interest in my problem and I thank you. Greetings Rino

I did a factory reset to 504. Upon restarting, the key line LEDs light up green and all 4 lock on the L1 and the phone works regularly: 9 on L1 - 8 L2 etc. Entering the 504 web page I saw that in ext 1 in proxy and registration there is the proxy of the pbx 9000 while in ext 2, 3 and 4 the field is empty.

No way with factory default. It mean something/someone has configured the phone. I assume it's SPA9000 via a provisioning mechanism. Based on your description,  there's only Ext1 configured and all line keys are bound to it. I'm unsure about the meaning "phone works regularly". It may mean incoming calls, outgoing calls or both. As you didn't claimed success, it seems not all things works regularly in this configuration. 

I inserted ip of 9000 in ext 2, 3 and 4-

It's not just about IP. I assume you copied IP, port and login credentials. OK, you have four identical clients connected to the same account of SPA9000 (assuming SPA9000 allows multiple logins with same credentials - e.g. shared line). But whats the goal of such configuration ? It's still the same SIP accounts used four times. Imagine it's analog line - your configuration is like four analog phones connected to the same wire in parallel. Still assuming the SPA9000 allows multiple registration for same account (so called shared line).

then I went to Phone and in Line key 2, 3, 4 I changed extension from 1 to 2,3,4 but in Share Call Appearance and in Extended Function I don't know what to put.

Forget extended line for now. It's for advanced function and it's not good time to speak about them until basic will work.

As all extensions are sharing the same line, all four extensions are sharing the same line. Thus Share Call Appearance should be "Shared".

Note there qre two settings related to share/private accounts. The one is Ext N->Share Ext and the second is on Phone tab. Both settings needs to be set to "share" to have shared line.

But I'm commenting your current configuration. It seems to be inappropriate for the declared goal.

You need no four phones sharing the same line. You need to have four independent lines. While IP and port can be shared (as you have one call control device - the SPA9000) every Ext N needs to have own credentials. And Share Call Appearance (as well as Ext N->Share ext) should be set to "private".

But it's not about configuration of SPA504G, it's about configuration of SPA9000. Well, it's about configuration of SPA504G as well, but such configuration is just configuration of SIP clients connected to SPA9000. So the SPA9000 needs to be configured first.

I'd like to tell 504 to use the 9000 as a server. I know I'm wrong, but unfortunately I don't know any Cisco technician who can help me in the configuration.

SPA9000 is 5 years past End-of-Support (and 9 years past End-Of-Sale). No Cisco support will help you.

If you bought it now, you must be enthusiast. You have nice piece of old equipment to play with.

So sorry, I can't help you with it as I meet no SPA9000 ever. I decided not to use Cisco's proprietary call control devices for our installations (the lack of long term support has been one of the reason), We are using just Asterisk instead.

May be someone else will advise you here, but SPA9000 is so old and there may be no one familiar with. Especially in this (closed) thread. If you will ask for help with SPA9000, create new thread mentioning SPA9000 in the title.