Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spa504g crashes - registration/drop issue

I have had an intermittent issue where users attempt to answer a  call, but the device(spa504g) freezes and the lcd gets stuck  "Answering". The  phone becomes unresponsive to any button presses; even  after considerable  patience. The call is eventually dropped, and if we're lucky the customer calls back. The only solution is to unplug the power  and repower the  device.

On the server side, the phone often remains registered  for sometime even  showing that it is still on a call. I think after  about 15 minutes the  registration drops. So if I attempt to repower the  phone before it  unregisters, it will seem to register fine but will  not actually ring on  any inbound calls. Most of the time I've resorted  to restarting services on the server which effectively brings the system  down, even if only for a minute.

I'm using 3cx phone system. Our server is collocated so all extensions are remote. Aside from this, we have no other issues

We have 5 end points at this location all SPA504g with  7.5.4 firmware. We have low call volume and I'm usually the first guy  to take calls 90% of the time. But I have swapped out phones and confirm  that it has happened on more than one device, even on previous  firmwares.

I can't reproduce the issue. It has happened about 5  times this week, but hadn't happened in over a couple of months prior to  this week.

I have experienced the issue ever since we went live with the system. So basically since everything was new out of the box.

I have created a support ticket with 3cx, providing syslogs for the phones, logs from the phone system, and wireshark pcap on the server. They say there is no problem on the server and that it is probably a phone/networking issue.

34 Replies 34

Asterisk claim the phone is not responding it's requests.

Phone may not respond because it's frozen. No way the phone become frozen because it didn't responded.

Thus mesage you mentioned is the symptom, not the cause.

Turn on syslog&debug on phone and catch the messages. Also catch SIP packets. It may reveal more.

Please start new thread for it as your issue seems dissimmilar to the one this thread is dedicated to.

It is a strange coincidence that this topic started getting a lot of activity recently and I was sick/working from home yesterday and my phone did crash (however it was still using 7.5.4 firmware, the only device I hadn't upgraded).

With that said, aside from the single issue on phone at home yesterday, I haven't experienced this issue since upgrading to firmware 7.5.5b, knock on wood.

It's really a shame we haven't had any inquiry from official cisco personel since nseto back in 2013. But even that didn't lead to anywhere since communication stopped abruptly.

I'm sure if we could have all put our heads together and started sending in packet captures and syslogs we could have nailed this thing down a long time ago.

Just for completeness ...

As COLP supplementar service is known to work my network, I analyzed SIP flow.

Note we use Asterisk, not FreeSwitch, SPA508G have 7.6.1 firmware version.

I discovered our Asterisk use (re-)INVITE to deliver connected number to caller's phone instead of UPDATE.

So if FreeSWITCH is configurable to use INVOTE instead of UPDATE to deliver COLP, it can be considered workaround.

RobbieRobski  :

we haven't had any inquiry from official cisco personel since nseto back in 2013

Linksys division has been sold, supporting department has been cancelled. Neither developpers nor support guys are participating here. Cisco wish not to have such kind of contact with customers anymore. That is it.

I do not think the phone became frozen because it didnt respond, but if something else caused the phone to freeze up I could have also got that message from asterisk. 

I also don't think its a NAT/Firewall issue because the server and phones are on a private LAN.

I have been out sick today, but I will turn on syslog and debug to see if I can't get anymore info.

Dan Lukes may be onto something I do believe there is an issue with how Asterisk and the Cisco 504G correpsond, just don't know how to correct it.

I wish the syslog&debug will reveal more. Please capture log packets together with SIP packets using tcpdump or wiresark or so to save the timing data. Textual format may not disclose dependencies to us well.

Note the dump provided by you may contain data considered sensitive.