cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G - Endless Ringing

gvandesteeg
Level 1
Level 1

In certain situations and timings of SIP traffic to an SPA504G running any released firmware from 7.4.8a to 7.5.6a, the phone enters an endless Ringing state if the following sequence of SIP messages is received and responded to.

PBXIP -> PHONE   INVITE
PBXIP <- PHONE   100 Trying
PBXIP -> PHONE   CANCEL

If the CANCEL gets sent before the 180 Ringing is received, the phone enters this state after reporting a 481 Call Leg/Transaction Does Not Exist.

So this causes problems like so:

PBXIP -> PHONE   INVITE
PBXIP -> PHONE   CANCEL
PBXIP <- PHONE   481 Call Leg/Transaction Does Not Exist
PBXIP <- PHONE   180 Ringing

... and then the endless ringing starts which you can end by either answering the call or ignoring it, but since the call has already been cancelled no matter what you do the case will not be resolved.

If the CANCEL gets sent AFTER the 180 Ringing we get normal call termination like this (the SIP RFC is nice and vague and as such the 487 and 200 can be the other way around on different phones)

PBXIP -> PHONE   INVITE
PBXIP <- PHONE   180 Ringing
PBXIP -> PHONE   CANCEL
PBXIP <- PHONE   487 Request Terminated
PBXIP <- PHONE   200 OK
PBXIP -> PHONE   ACK

The attached ZIP file contains the test results PCAPs, SIPp scripts for testing the behaviour with, and the logs of the tests.

(I'm currently dealing with 421 of these devices that have been deployed).

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well known issue. Considered to be firmware bug. Already corrected and mentioned in a firmware release notes. Please firmware upgrade and try again.

Mark the answer as "corrected" if it will solve the issue. It will help others to found solutions.

Can you point me at the particular firmware in question or the Release Notes for that firmware?

EDIT: Found this reference in the 7.5.6a release notes, but I can still reproduce it in that firmware.

CSCty82148: The SPA51x phone keeps ringing even after the caller cancels the call immediately.

As mentioned, I've tried every single version from 7.4.8a to 7.5.6a, so that is the following, all of them have this problem.

• 7.4.8a (initial problem)
  • 7.4.9a
  • 7.4.9c
  • 7.5.1a
  • 7.5.2b
  • 7.5.5b
  • 7.5.6a (latest available)

As per the firmware available at: https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282724650&release=7.4.8&softwareid=282463651

Unfortunately, I'm unable to found original thread dedicated to the issue. It has been here more than two years ago. Thread in question has been responded by Cisco's employee (they are no longer responding here). I remember the issue has been declared solved. Well, I may be wrong.

All at all, if you are affected by the issue even with latest firmware it's either not solved or it is other issue. If you have active service contract, you can contact SMB support and beg for help. You can try it even with no support contract, but don't put so much hope on it.

Edit: the thread mentioned above has been found: Problem when sending CANCEL before 180 Ringing is received

Yup, just retested, still has that bug in 7.5.6a.

Read here.

Issue is known, it has been solved, but in beta firmware only. It regressed in regular releases.

Call SMB Support, report the issue, ask for beta firmware if necessary.

Refer to CDET CSCty82148    SPA51x:UUT is still ringing if the caller cancel the call in a short.

Mark the answer as "corrected" or rate useful advices. It will help others to found solutions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: