cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G reboot even without configuration changes

andrewhotlab
Level 1
Level 1

The configuration on these phones (fw 7.4.3) is provisioned via TFTP and HTTP, and it is refreshed periodically on hourly basis (default behaviour).

At each refresh the phones reboot, even if the configuration has not changed. How can avoid this behaviour? That's extremely annoying for users!

8 Replies 8

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

Your provisioning file, does it only have the parameters that you want to change or all the parameters that the provisioning file contains?  If it has all the parameters in it, it will more than likely reboot as there must be a difference somewhere between the provisioning file and the phone.  If you have the provisioning file narrowed down to only parameters that you want to change, check with a test phone several minutes before the next provision cycle and see what parameter is different from the provisioning file.  Easiest way to do this is to use your browser and do a save as html file, be sure to login as admin/advanced and save that html file and compare with the provisioning file.

The provisioning files contain only the limited set of parameters that I want to assign to the phones. I compared that files to the spacfg.xml extracted from a running provisioned phone and I didn't spot any difference, except for three parameters (Admin_Passwd, LDAP_Password, Password_1_ ) whose values are shown as a string of asterisks in the spacfg.xml, whereas the provisioning files contains the plain text passwords.

It might be important to note that I'm using a "three-step" profile provisioning by using multiple configuration files... here are the parameters used to this process:

That's might be the cause of my trouble? I can confirm that the settings contained in each .cfg file don't overlap the others. Each file only contains a set of more specific parameters than the previous.

Thanks for your help.

From your description, it sounds like it shouldn't reboot.  For testing purposes, you'll want to try this, test without the profile B and C and see if it reboots.  If not rebooting, add profile B and test if that's ok.  If still ok, then we'll have to try and reproduce in house with your profile rule/config and see why when it gets to C, it reboots.

Thanks for your suggestion. It has come to my mind too, and this morning I did a test putting all parameters in a single provisioning file and deploying it via TFTP only (the Profile_Rule parameter). Nothing changed: through the same provisioning file I set the Resync_Periodic parameter to 300 sec., and the phone started to reboot every 5 minutes!

Can I privately email you the provisioning files I'm deploying? In the meanwhile, I extracted and attached the entire list of parameters I'm setting in this way. Maybe one of them is causing this problem...

I see that you have listed twice.  Is that a typo?  Or is it there twice?

If that's there only once, then can you also try with the following removed, to verify if this parameter may be causing the issue. 

Ugh, the CW_Settings parameter was really listed twice! I removed it with the Select_Background_Picture parameter too, but the phones still keep rebooting at each profile resync...

Tomorrow I will try to provision empty files only: I'm guessing that the reboot might be caused by the resync process itself and not by any provisioned parameter. Do you think it's possible?

After successfully testing an empty provisioning file (no reboot with it), I spent a couple of hours investigating what parameter was responsible for my headaches.

The value of the Dictionary_Server_Script parameter was wrong!! (it was containing a space in one of the dictionary files name).

But there was another problem: the parameter Extension_4_ turned out to be duplicated: it was contained both in the scripts referenced by Profile_Rule_B and Profile_Rule_C. That was the last cause of the trouble.

So it is wrong to write the same parameter in several files? It would be a common scenario to set a parameter for all phones in the company (for example, in the profile B) and then to differentiate only some phones by setting a different value for that parameter, by including it in the profile C. It's officially unsupported?

This case has shown me how much important is to have a tool for checking the syntax of these files before deploying them to the phones. Is the SPC tool able to do this? If it doesn't, please let us know if there is a plan from Cisco to provide such a tool.

I understand that this line of phones targets mainly the small businesses, but any tool that will simplify the deployment and the maintenance of the provisioning files would be tremendously useful to IT pros in "promoting" the SPA series in their office/company.

Thanks so much for your help.

Glad to hear that you found the problem.

Yes, do not have the same parameter duplicated, it will cause the reboots.

Generally, you would have profile rule contain parameters in which more than one phone will have the same info like the proxy.

Then profile rule B would have things narrowed down to maybe just a couple of phones with the same parameters like maybe a shared ext ID.

Profile rule C would be specific to one phone like the user ID and password.

At this time, I don't know of plans to have a software for checking the syntax but I'll pass the word to the folks here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: