Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G + SPA500DS - intermittent BLF issue

grudgemaha
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone.

Since upgrading to the latest firmware version 7.5.7 , we have had a few users using the SPA504G report intermittent issues (happens once or twice a week) with their SPA500DS sidecars where their sidecar displaying a BLF list is "frozen". A reboot of the SPA504G fixes the issue temporarily.

"Frozen" means that the BLF generated numbers are still showing on the sidecar with a green light next to them, but if you press the button to call any of the BLF monitored extensions nothing happens; also the sidecar will not change the led color if any of the extensions are in use.

From our perspective, we see a SUBSCRIBE from the phone around that time, then a NOTIFY from our Broadsoft AS server which gets a 200OK from the phone.

The log from the phone however (sanitized), shows us the sidecar going through an UNPLUG and INIT event but we do not see it change state back to CONNECTED as expected.

Mar 29 08:31:08 [tcpThread] evt 3 state 3
Mar 29 08:31:08 [0]SIP TCP Idle
Mar 29 08:31:08 [tcpThread] evt 2 state 3
Mar 29 08:31:08 RSE_DEBUG: set current addr of domain:sip.example.com to:b69a139b:5060
Mar 29 08:31:08 RSE_DEBUG: 5 RSE_TRAVERSE
Mar 29 08:31:08 RSE_DEBUG: Domain: sip.example.com, type=HOST
Mar 29 08:31:08 RSE_DEBUG: Total Address:1, up addr:1, ref id:0, ref cnt:1
Mar 29 08:31:08 RSE_DEBUG: Current addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Mar 29 08:31:08 RSE_DEBUG: curr timestamp::203397063, pri:3600, scnd:3600
Mar 29 08:31:08 RSE_DEBUG: pri:0, addr: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060, status=UP, visited=TRUE, ttl=-1, pri=PRIM
Mar 29 08:31:08 [tcpThread] evt 0 state 3
Mar 29 08:31:08 SIP_tcpAddTsItem 0 0x94993c60
Mar 29 08:31:08 [tcpThread] evt 0 state 3
Mar 29 08:31:09 SIDECAR 0 : change state to 
Mar 29 08:31:09 UNPLUG!! 
Mar 29 08:31:09 SIDECAR 1 : change state to 
Mar 29 08:31:09 UNPLUG!! 
Mar 29 08:31:09 SIDECAR 0 : change state to 
Mar 29 08:31:09 INIT!! 
Mar 29 08:31:09 SIDECAR 1 : change state to 
Mar 29 08:31:09 INIT!! 
Mar 29 08:31:13 Timer K Fires
Mar 29 08:31:13 SIP_tcpRemoveTsItem 0 0x94989720

Could this be an issue with the new firmware ? We have had reports from several users with the same issue, on different sites all using firmware version 7.5.7.

Any help and insight is appreciated.

Regards,

Andrei.

17 Replies 17

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Of course, it is possible. Try to use 7.5.6 on one phone to verify the hypothesis.

Once verified, call SMB Support and report the bug. Cisco technicians doesn't monitor this forum, so bug report has no desired effect here.

For anyone else interested, this has been acknowledged as CSCut43460 affects 7.5.6 and 7.5.7

According the CSCut43460 text it seems you verified the issue exist on 7.5.6 & 7.5.7 and doesn't exist on 7.5.1a, but it has not been tested on other releases like 7.5.5 and so on so their status is unknown. Correct ?

By the way, the CSCut43460 claim 7.5.7 the only Known Affected Release (despite the 7.5.6 is mentioned in free-text description as well).

I've the same problem as you in 7.5.6 AND 7.5.7

- https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12478971/blf-blocked-spa525g-firmare-754#comment-10432426

Does somebody have a solution about BLF bugs in 7.5.6 & 7.5.7 firmware ?

Our last response from Cisco was that a fix will not be available until around July - August some time, i have a number of customers this effects and am not impressed with the support over this , I'm actually looking at moving over 200-300 phones to Yealink devices because Cisco will not address the issue

Cisco you need to start addressing your customer issues in a timely manner having to wait 6 months for a fix is ridiculous, you seem to to want to drive your loyal customers to competitor products.

+1 ...

Hi,

Does Cisco team directy answer on the forum ?

Appears not, Cisco have really abandoned it's customers over the last few years , especially around this SMB product set, oh well their loss i have now deployed 3 new installs with over 320 phones all with Yealink and Polycom now, i wont be looking at Cisco again for any depolyments, i would suggest anyone with Broadsoft deployments would be advised to look at other products if this is how long it takes to address issues, this one wont be fixed for quite some time by the looks of it, my business couldn't wait can yours ?    

Is there another way than this forum to contact Cisco for spa phone ?

I still have no answer on this impacting bug.

This forum is not the way to contact Cisco. This is volunteer platform, although some volunteers may be related to Cisco as well. But with the end of Linksys division, comments from Cisco staff are rare here. Even more rare are responses from Cisco's technicians. And with no exception, no technicians provide responses in bug-related threads.

If you are wishing to contact Cisco for SPA phone, you need to contact official Cisco Small Business Support Center.

But even with Cisco Small Business Support Center you need stroke of luck.  You should consider SMB IP Phones, as well as SMB ATA gateways as DIY kits rather than vendor supported product.

Note I consider SPA IP Phones to be very good devices. Just support is something you should not wish for ...

Correct its not.. and your right a stroke of luck is more than required.

I have moved on to Yealink and Polycom and have removed the SPA series from our offerings as well as removing effected client devices that couldn't wait for this fix, by my Calculation its over 500 devices so far that i have been put in new or replaced existing effected devices , haven't looked back to be honest.

Only way i can move forward with my product offerings was to remove Cisco as device.

Good for you Cisco looks like your plan to drive your customers away is working brilliantly.

Yes i am bitter with Cisco's treatment of the SMB product sets after supporting them for over 10 years.

We will continue to use those product because of some exceptional features. Namely the unique client certificate embedded into device - it allow us to arrange secure zero touch deployment of new devices into existing networks. I have installations in many countries around, so it's very important feature for us.

Also, the configuration style is stable enough for years. The configuration file created for latest firmware of a recent model  can be used even for oldest devices available (and even for those no longer available ...).

Because of those two exceptional features we will withstand lack of support. But yes, we are still looking for possible replacement. I hesitate the Cisco is going to abandon this product line at all.

new firmware released yesterday :

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414147&softwareid=282463651&release=7.6.0

i'll try it in a couple hour