cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G won't Upgrade or Downgrade from Version 7.5.2

Kevin Porter
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen and resolved an issue where a brand new SPA504 with firmware version 7.5.2 won't upgrade or downgrade?  I have tried using my provisioning server to force the upgrade/downgrade with no luck and I have also run the SPA5X5g Firmware Upgrade from the Cisco software download page.  I have tried to downgrades to versions 7.4.6, 7.4.8a, 7.4.9a, 7.4.9c and 7.5.1a with no luck.  I have tried to upgrade to version 7.5.2b with no luck.  Please let me know if anyone has been able to get the phone off of the base 7.5.2 firmware...

8 Replies 8

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

Check in the Provisioning tab to see if Upgrade Enable is set to yes.

Yes sir the Upgrade Enable drop-down is set for yes.

Obtain the debug log so that you can see why the unit is failing to change software.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9862

Kevin Porter
Level 1
Level 1

Well...After using the Provisioning Server to set the configuration files to upgrade to version 7.5.2b and letting the phone sit for about 24 hours, it decided it would allow the upgrade to occur.  I am baffled at this one...

jayturish
Level 1
Level 1

I just went through the same exercise and got my 504G to upgrade by changing the "allow upgrade" to NO then saving then setting it back to YES..

ultimosoftware
Level 1
Level 1

I am also seeking a resolution to upgrading my SPA504G from FW 7.5.2 to 7.5.7.

I have tried the suggestions here, and a few other things, but the update does not load onto the phone.

When I run the FW EXE, it detects phone and starts uploading. Both PC and phone indicate this.

Then the form stops at position 4194816, the red flashes on the phone for a few moments, and then returns to the normal screen, it does even reboot.

The PC progress form re-starts it "blue bar", but no counter this time. After a few minutes it then shows the upgrade has failed.

Hoping I can find a solution here.

You missed the Release Notes. See SPA504G phone does not upgrade for advice.

NickHibma
Level 1
Level 1

Spent a few hours trying to upgrade my new Cisco SPA504G and ran into the same problem. The problem seems to be that if you try a bad upgrade first (going from 7.5.2 to 7.6.1 first) and then -not- rebooting the phone first, any firmware upgrade after that fails (it allocates the wrong buffer size for the download, gets a short download and fails to verify it, which is correct, because it is missing data).

So reboot the phone first, then immediately do the upgrade.

See also the background in my blog post.