cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504Gs lock at 'Initializing Network'

safeharbour
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, this is a really odd one that's not cabling-related.  I wonder if anyone's seen this before or has any thoughts.

I have set of SPA504G's that I'm trying to install on a LAN using PoE.  The network seems fine, DHCP works fine for other devices but all of them lock at 'Initializing Network'

It's not a cabling issue, which normally resolves this.  I can plug the SPA's directly into the switch with different cables and they behave the same way.  When I plug in a Linksys SPA942 using the same cable it picks up an IP and boots!  When I plug the SPA504G into another network it picks up an IP and boots normally.

So there is something about this network that is not giving the SPA504G what it wants.   I can't get into the phone to look at its status as it doesn't get that far in the boot process.

I'm guessing I need wireshark and dig a little deeper but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Many thanks,

Neil

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SPA504 is unable to obtain network configuration. May be DHCP is unwilling to provide one for a reason. Even in 'Initializing network' state you should be able to enter phone's menu so you can check it have IP address assigned or not.

Check DHCP server logs as well. Try to configure network settings manually to confirm it's DHCP issue.

Yes, wireshark may or may not be the fastest way to identify the cause - it depends on your networking skills.

Neil, 

I have come across this issue many times and usually it is DHCP related issue (not sure client or server side though). Patience, several re-connections, or factory reset usually resolves the problem for me. Also, I noticed that if SPA504 does not get an IP issued by a DHCP server for some time, it reverts itself to a previously given IP address (we refer to it as "backup" IP) and you can see this term via GUI under "reboot reasons". This then leads to potential IP conflicts on the network... 

I have posted similar question here, but I still haven't found a solution to my problem... 

I would suggest to upgrade phone's firmware to the latest (7.6.1 by it looks) if you haven't done so yet and check again if the problem occurs.

if SPA504 does not get an IP issued by a DHCP server for some time, it reverts itself to a previously given IP address

Such behavior is correct as long as previous lease is still valid. It should not cause issue of any kind.

Note no IP conflict is possible. DHCP server must not assigned same address to other device unless first lease has expired or the address has been properly released by the first device.

I have posted similar question here, but probably it ended up in an incorrect section, as I still haven't found a solution to my problem... 

You should either move such thread to this community  (blue EDIT button on upper right corner) or delete it if superfluous (same location, red DELETE button). It is off topic in IP Telephony and will not be responded.

Dan, nice answer. Do you know the timer value before phone reverts to the backup IP address or any reference document about it?

I never tried it by self.

I assume a DHCP RFC apply here. But faster way seems to be just try it and measure the time by self.

Note the other thread is still misplaced. It should be moved to SPA IP Phones

OwenUganda
Level 1
Level 1

"Assign it a static ip address and reboot" it worked for me

I have encountered this issue too. SPA504 is unable to obtain ip address automatically.

DHCP was not assigning ip to the phone.

Using the phone's GUI, I navigated through the options, went to Network and changed it from DHCP to a static IP address. After rebooting, it started working perfectly calling and receiving calls internally. External calls were not possible at first but after some minutes, they also started going through. I think it had not yet settled after the reboot.

If you thing it's the same issue, same solution described above apply.

If it doesn't apply to you then it's not same issue. Create new thread for new issue then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: