Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA509G Firmware 7.4.9a Upgrade Broke Distinctive Ring

msheldon1127
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I just upgraded two of the SPA509G phones on our system to formware version 7.4.9a.  Now it seems that the phones are no longer honoring the Alert-Info SIP header and defaulting to the Classic-1 ring tone.  This caused a minor revolt in the office so I tried backing the phones back to 7.4.7 and the phones no longer registered with the Asterisk server.  I've been able to manually set the Simple-1 ring tone on the two phones, but the distinctive ring patterns that differentiate between internal and external calls isn't working since the phones seem to ignore the Alert-Info header.  I'd sure appreciate some help resolving this before I get lynched.

Is it possible to successfully back the phones back down to the 7.4.7 firmware?

I've watched the network traffic with an analyzer and I can see that the Alert-Info header is being sent and the phones that weren't upgraded to 7.4.9 are still accepting the Alert-Info header and ringing as desired.  I am using asterisk v1.6.1.10.  Here is an exerpt from the dial plan that has been working until the firmware upgrade.

First, an internal call:

exten => 123,1,SIPAddHeader(Alert-Info: Simple-1)

exten => 123,n,Dial(SIP/phone-001,30,Tt)

exten => 123,n,Voicemail(123@default,su)

exten => 123,n,Hangup()

and, an external call:

exten => 100,1,SIPAddHeader(Alert-Info: Simple-2)

exten => 100,n,Dial(SIP/phone-001&SIP/phone-002&SIP/phone-003&SIP/phone-004,30,T)

exten => 100,n,VoiceMail(1@default,su)

exten => 100,n,Hangup()

Again, everything worked fine until the two phones I upgraded to firmware v7.4.9a seemed to stop paying attention to the Alert-Info SIP header.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

4 Replies 4

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

I do see that the cisco.com site has the older software avail.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282724650&softwareid=282463651&release=7.4.9&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

After hitting the link, go to the All Releases, you'll find it there.

We are coming out with a 7.5.1 in a couple of weeks, I believe it will have the fix as well.

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to obtain the older, 7.4.7 firmware, but when I applied the 7.4.7 firmware to the phone it stopped registering to the Asterisk server. I even tried doing a factory reset and re-applying the 7.4.7 firmware without success. Unless I can find a way to successfully downgrade the firmware it looks like I'm out of luck until the new firmware is released. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new firmware fixes this.

I can confirm that updating to 7.4.9a or above breaks the Alert-Info in SPA509G and SPA525G2

(7.4.8a works. Anything above it does not.)

This seems to have happened after the provisioning of "Support for Distinctive Call Waiting Tone".

I have found that with Asterisk PBX (including FreePBX), firmware version 7.4.7 and below have BLF, CP & SD troubles.

7.4.8a seems to be reasonable middle ground.

Cisco please fix the Alert-Info response bug!

Hi, so that a bug can be opened, please contact support, contact at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

They will need the trace from the broken firmware vs the trace with the working firmware and then dev can work on a fix.  Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: