Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525 does not have enough signals

group9optus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

We have a client with UC320 and 7 SPA525G2 all connected through wifi.

3 of them upstairs and 1 downstairs are not getting enough coverage.

Client has refused to use any Ethernet cables, only option we have is to improve the signals wireless.

Will UC320 support access point so that we can configure voice through it. If yes which one would should be used.

Scene here is that we are routing voice only through UC320, data network is separate.

Any suggestions, urgent please.

Regards

Harish Kumar

19 Replies 19

Hi Harish,

Yes, you can use external APs to expand your coverage.  The access point should support VLANs as you will need to configure the native VLAN 1 untagged for data and associated with the data SSID, and VLAN 100 for voice with it associated with the voice SSID.  Since the UC320W currently provisions the WiFi settings for the phone based upon the AP settings built into the UC320W, you will need to configure the voice SSID exactly the same on the AP.  Recommend WPA2 personal, AES, and use the same passwords.

That said, the Cisco AP541N is available today and do what you need.  You might also take a look at the recently announced WAP 121 and 321:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12250/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/wireless/300_series_wireless_access_points/index.html

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris, we will try this and let you know.

BTW WAP121 and WAP321 are definitely cheaper options, will these also be working for what we are trying to achieve.

Have a great weekend.

Kind Regards

Harish Kumar

Hi Harish,

Yes, I think so.  I've just started working with them this week.  They look to be more feature rich than the 541n.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Apologies for the cut-in but I have an installation in exactly the same situation.

So your solution above means that the WAP121 can extend the existing UC320W wireless network/s?

Thanks

Damian Halloran

Hi Damian,

Yes, I believe so.

Chris

Hi Chris

We have checked WAP321 and it is working fine both ways, ethernet and wireless..

Hope this helps.

Regards

Harish Kumar

femi.agboade
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Harish/Chris,

I had thought the UC320W-FXO-K9 would only allow just 4 units of SPA525G2 max? It is interesting that you are able to connect up to 7 phones wirelessly. Can someone tell me what is the maximum number of the wireless SPA525G2 phones that can be configured on the UC320W?

Femi

Hi Femi,

8 is the suggested maximum number of phones.  If you plan do do a lot of paging you might use less because paging uses IP multicast.  Multicast can put a load on WiFi networks....

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for that feedback.

Regards,

Femi

I've also got the same issue and a dumb question.

Have 7 525G2's

2 are hard wired via Ethernet cable to the back of the 320.

Other 5 are using wireless for their signal. 

Can I assume that a WAP 321 or 121 MUST be connected to one of the remaining 2 open ports on the back of the 320?  OR can this WAP be connected to different switch which is the same switch that the 320 is connected.  That's where I get confused.  I don't want to use up dedicated 320 Ethernet ports unless absolutly necessary.

Please advise.

Hi Dean,

You can connect your access points to your UC320W LAN side switch.  If you have a Cisco switch you should set the smart port role for the port connect to the Access Point as Access Point.  As long as the switch passed VLAN 100 traffic tagged you should be OK.  Do make sure you use the same WiFI settings on the AP as you have configured on the UC320W.

Chris

P.S.  I replied to your PM.  Not sure if PM notifications have stopped working again.

Hi Chris,

I would think that Dean could also connect the access point to the UC320W wirelessly as a repeater so that he doesnt have to physically run any connections to the UC320W.

Femi

Hi Femi,

I suppose that is a possibility.  I haven't tried it in the lab, so I'm not sure what the impact would be for WiFi throughput with multiple voip calls up at once.   Also, will need to order a power supply for 321.  The 121 does come with a power supply.

Chris

HI Guys

Just to update we had successfully installed WAP 321 without ethernet (Wireless mode) and it is working fine.

We kept the VLAN settings same as in UC320 and the handsets signal have improved considerably.

As far as calls are concerned it is a medium traffice and is working fine...

Cheers

Harish Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: