Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G2 Firmware Update

Hi,

I am trying to update the firmware for our SPA525G IP phones. The manual asks me to the follow these steps which I do:

STEP 1 Log in to the phone web user interface.

STEP 2 Choose the Firmware Upgrade tab.

STEP 3 Click Firmware Upgrade Window.

STEP 4 Browse to select the firmware file from your PC.

STEP 5 Click Submit. The firmware is installed and your phone reboots.

However I am cannot find  the "Firmware Upgrade tab" in the phone web interface.  The interface that I am seeing is like this:

24-04-2013 15-29-24.png

As the picture shows there is no "Firmware Upgrade tab" on the top menu or anywhere else which I could find.

I would like to also mention that I just factory reset the phones and they are running 7.5.2(u2) firmware at the moment.

I would very much appreciate any help.

Kind Regards

Malek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi malek,

having tested the process with a SPA508G and a SPA525G2 i can confirm the firmware upgrade process on the SPA525G2 is different to the lower model SPA504G,508G handsets, in the firmware download file for those models it contains an .exe you can run to upload the phone however with the SPA525G it just contains the two .bin files as you have described and it is intended for you to upgrade the firmware via the web interface of the phone

the fact you are getting a "403 Forbidden" indicates that the web interface for the phones has been disabled the most likely candiate is the UC320 doing this.

there is probably an option in the UC320 where you can allow access to the web interface of the phone (i have seen this before on the UC500 series)

i have a uc320 here i will connect it up see if i can find the option

-------

failing that connect the phone to a seperate network and carry out the following to perform a factory reset on the handset

press the MENU key

option 9

option 5

select

you can then access the web interface of the phone and carry out the upgrade that way

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

hi Malek,

you simply need to download the latest firmware pack (link below)  to a PC on the same LAN subnet as the phone

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414147&softwareid=282463651&release=7.5.4&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

the pack comes with an .exe file which you run it will then ask you for the IP of the SPA525G2 handset which can be found from the web interface or my pressing the settings key on the phone and going to network settings

enter the IP of the phone and press upgrade

the phone will then be flashed with the latest software

NOTE: sometimes depending on the firmware load you have to carry out a stage upgrade i.e upgrade to a mid level firmware before you can jump to the latest

Malek,

However I am cannot find  the "Firmware Upgrade tab" in the phone web interface.

Can you go to any tabs and make any changes?  I believe your phone is read only thus you cant access the

"Firmware Upgrade tab".

Also make sure you are in admin mode and not user mode.  You must have admin rights to make changes.

Randy

appears randy is correct you should see it like this

you either need to go into the admin mode or someone has removed access to allow you to access this

randy is correct it appears

Thank you Matthew and Randy for your replies.

I already had downloaded the firmware upgrade zip file but there is not exe file there. There is a single PDF which is the release note and two bin files.

As I understand it I am not accessing the web admin interface.  I have tried the "http:///admin" but I get the "403 Forbidden !" message.

Let me explain our system topology:

We have a UC320W phone system connected to a SF300-24P router as an extension.  Both my phones an my PC are connected to the router with the subnet of 255.255.255.0 which is standard.  The phones are purchased brand new and they do not have device administrator password.  One of the phone IP address is 10.1.1.11 which is located in the Voice VLan of both UC320W and Router.  I am able to configure some of the phones configuration from the UC320W admin panel like buttons and address book but there is not phone's firmware upgrade section there. - which make sense -

I also tried using the provisioning method by uploading the bin file to our company server and using this " http://10.1.1.11/admin/upgrade?http:///spa525g-7-5-4-bt.bin" address in the browser but again I was frustrated by "403 Forbidden !" message.  Below is the a picture of the system tap of the web interface

How can I make the phone configuration writable and log in to admin section please?  I need to upgrade the phone firmware because the phone Bluetooth does not recognise the users mobile Bluetooth.  In the firmware release note it is suggested that upgrade would rectifying the problem.

I would like to thank you for your help. Please let me know if more screenshot or details are needed.

Kind Regards

Malek

hi malek,

having tested the process with a SPA508G and a SPA525G2 i can confirm the firmware upgrade process on the SPA525G2 is different to the lower model SPA504G,508G handsets, in the firmware download file for those models it contains an .exe you can run to upload the phone however with the SPA525G it just contains the two .bin files as you have described and it is intended for you to upgrade the firmware via the web interface of the phone

the fact you are getting a "403 Forbidden" indicates that the web interface for the phones has been disabled the most likely candiate is the UC320 doing this.

there is probably an option in the UC320 where you can allow access to the web interface of the phone (i have seen this before on the UC500 series)

i have a uc320 here i will connect it up see if i can find the option

-------

failing that connect the phone to a seperate network and carry out the following to perform a factory reset on the handset

press the MENU key

option 9

option 5

select

you can then access the web interface of the phone and carry out the upgrade that way

the firmware upgrade process on the SPA525G2 is different to the lower model SPA504G,508G handsets, in the firmware download file for those models it contains an .exe

Not every firmware release contain standalone executable even on SPA50x product line.

In advance, such executable use no special magic method to do the upgrade (i'm speaking about casual upgrade mode, not recovery mode which doesn't apply here). If no admin/advanced mode avaiable for the user, I suspect the "executable driven" upgrade will fail as well.

Malek,

your comment:

"

We have a UC320W phone system connected to a SF300-24P router as an extension.  Both my phones an my PC are connected to the router with the subnet of 255.255.255.0 which is standard.  The phones are purchased brand new and they do not have device administrator password.  One of the phone IP address is 10.1.1.11 which is located in the Voice VLan of both UC320W and Router.  I am able to configure some of the phones configuration from the UC320W admin panel like buttons and address book but there is not phone's firmware upgrade section there. - which make sense -"

The UC320W controls the firmware and configuration of each phone provisioned on the unit.  It locks down the phone so that is why you do not see option to update the firmware.

When you change firmware on the UC320W it will automatically update the firmware on the phones if needed.

There is a community specifically on UC320W questions and issues.

Thanks Randy

Ok, but the updates on UC320W are stopped at more than 2 years a go while the SPA525G's last update it was 5 days a go.

So what? I have to wait a firmware upgrade for the router in order to update my phones?​
That's just incredibly ridiculous.

I'll connect the phone through a 3th party router or directly to my computer in order to update... :(

Hi,

I would Like to thank Matthew and Randy for their comments and help.

As Matthew mentioned it was the UC320w which locked the phones.  I had a spare router and connected the phone to that router and manufacture reset the phones.  After start up I was able to login as an admin to the phone web interface and update the firmware of the phones.

Although I am still not clear how can I update the phone's firmware while the handsets are connected to UC320W network, at least the issue has been resolved and with the new firmware phones are able to see the Bluetooth now.

Thanks again for all of your comments,

Malek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: