cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA8800 for 911 calling

nathanaelb
Level 4
Level 4

With a UC560 serving IP phones at multiple sites over MPLS, can we direct phones at various sites to use a SPA8800's FXO ports at that local site for 911 calling.   We are looking to do this for 911 calling only.                 

3 Replies 3

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Nathan,

You can do it but I think you will have to do this manually...

Basically you will have the SPA8800 in one central location and then at each other location you create a Dial-Peer pointing to the extension number associated to the SPA8800.

However I would ask why? Keeping in mind that every single call will present to emergency services as that location, so you will need to provide training to each and every staff at each location to announce their exact whereabouts, otherwise the operator may just assume it is from the location of where the call originated from.

Cheers,

David Trad.

**When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) **

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Scenario:

Site A: UC560 & T1

Site B: SPA8800

Site C: SPA8800

Could I have sites SPA8800 at sites B & C with local analog lines connected and have the phone at sites A & B use the analog lines connected to their local SPA8800 for 911 dialing only so the correct info would be provided to the PSAP?

Hmmmmmm

Now you got me thinking.... I cannot see why you couldn't, but again I must repeat that you would need to do it manually.

It would be a little tricky and would require some clever programming, but not impossible. I am also assuming that sites "B" and "C" are virtual desk phones that are connected back to site "A" (Please correct me if I am wrong).

If that is the case, then you would have to train the staff at sites "B" to dial say 999 which points to a floating extension on the system, which then points to their localized SPA8800, and site "C" would say have to dial 888 and it points to its respective SPA8800.

There might be another way but I would need some time to work it out and further to that I would have to test it and I cannot as I dont have a UC or a SPA8800 to test it out on.

But alas I know you can do it, but it just depends on how you want to skin that cat I guess

Cheers,

David Trad.

**When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) **

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: