cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA9000 + Hunt Groups + CTI Enable = Busy Line after missed call

ctbconsulting
Level 1
Level 1

After almost two years of flawless operation we are now having trouble with our SPA9000.

Our system consists of one SPA9000, four SPA922, two analogue phones.

Voicemail is handled by our Telephony Providers via email. Auto attendant is not enabled.

Line 3 is connected to a Mediatrix 4402 ISDN gateway, which is then connected to our first Service Provider (two lines, five DIDs)

Line 1 and 2 are connected to our ITSP.

We have a hunt group set up, with a global rule. 500:name=ctbHunt,117,104,hunt=re;7;3

The hunt group is associated to Line 1 and to one of the five DIDs on Line 3.

There is no cfwd because external providers hang up and redirect to their voicemail after 18 seconds.

This has been working perfectly for two years, and it still does as long as someone in the hunt group picks up.

The difference is that now if nobody in the hunt group answers the call, all subsequent calls to the hunt group receive a busy signal.

In our troubleshooting efforts we also tried the following:

a) reboot the SPA9000

b) dial 500 (the hunt group) from another extension (not in the hunt group) and let it ring the stations sequentially and hang up after two cycles

c) Dial 500 again. We got the busy tone.

So we concluded this has little to do with the individual lines' contact list and instead the cause is very likely to be with the hunt groups.

We have also looked a a previous thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2021380 to include the cfwd=aa as suggested. But, as the OP of that thread reported, this does not solve the issue.

After further digging, we have found out that the problem may well be the "CTI Enable" flag in the SPA9000 PBX Parameters (SIP tab).

If we set the CTI Enable switch to "no" everything goes back to normal. And enabling the CTI flag may well have been what triggered the problem for us.

This was also reported in another thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3343746 but - since it involved a third party application - the discussion went private between the poster and the third party software developer.

Can anyone please help?

Attached is the SPA9000 configuration (passwords and public IP address have been masked).

Thanks for your attention.

7 Replies 7

maambros
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vincenzo,

I'm an engineer of the Cisco Small Business support.

I'd like to ask you if it's possible to try to use the hunt group configured in this way:

1) 500:name="ctbHunt",117,104,hunt=re;7   

then

2) 500:name="ctbHunt",117,104,hunt=re;7;1

then

3)500:name="ctbHunt",117,104,hunt=al;10;1

Check if it works in this way.

After these tests if you can please use a syslog to collect the debug from the spa9000 enabling and disabling the CTI, and if you could please send to me the 2 debugs collected 

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Mauro,

thanks for getting back to me on this.

I did try all three options with and without CTI enabled. I have captured syslogs for all six tests (in attachment). Each log starts with the SPA9000 reboot so you can also see any differences with / without the CTI enabling.

In the test I was calling Hunt Group 500 (ext 117 + ext 104) from my extension (104). The test comprised two or tree calls.

The bottom line is  that hunt group configuration makes no difference at all on how the system behaves.

The first call always goes as expected:

- Option a) and b) : ext 117 rings and then 104

- Option c) : both extensions ring at the same time

The behaviour for the second and third calls differs on whether CTI is enabled or not:

- CTI Disabled: same behaviour as first call. Evrything as expected.

- CTI Enabled: none of the stations ring, just get a busy tone.

Hope you can find a solution in the logs.

Looking forward to hering from you. Thanks again.

Vincenzo

Dan Miley
Level 3
Level 3

What happens if you dial 500, let it cycle, then dial extention 117 and 104

What does the Mediatrix 4402 ISDN gateway configuration look like? are there timeouts on outbound calls with no answer?

is it possible to attach the config of the Mediatrix unit?

Dan

Dan,

thanks for your interest in this. Regarding your questions:

a) "What happens if you dial 500, let it cycle, then dial extention 117 and 104"

Excellent point. I tested that too but forgot to mention the results. If I do that everything works normally: extensions ring and - if picked up - function normally. No matter if CTI is enabled or disabled or what the hunt group configuration is (no hunt group or any of the different options suggested by Mauro).

b) "What does the Mediatrix 4402 ISDN gateway configuration look like? are there timeouts on outbound calls with no answer? is it possible to attach the config of the Mediatrix unit?"

To be frank I don't see the point in your question. The problem occurs no matter if the call to the hunt group comes from an external line (be it the Mediatrix on Line 3 or the ITSP on Line 1) or if it is dialled from an internal extension. Also, the problem occurs only if CTI is enabled, as also reported by other users in the past (see the links to other posts I provided earlier).

IMHO this pretty much proves that the problem is between the hunt groups and CTI.

However, since I'm no engineer (and you guys are!) please find attached the actual Mediatrix config files (zipped, sorry but they come as individual pages) and the Linksys Mediatrix-SPA9000 configuration guide, which we followed step by step.

Thanks again for your interest in this.

Regards.

Vince

<<

To be frank I don't see the point in your question. The problem  occurs  no matter if the call to the hunt group comes from an external  line (be  it the Mediatrix on Line 3 or the ITSP on Line 1) or if it is  dialled  from an internal extension. Also, the problem occurs only if  CTI is enabled, as also reported by other users in the past (see the  links to other posts I provided earlier).

>>

Sorry I didn't make my reasoning clear, I'm still looking over the routing, cti, and huntgroup config,

I thought the hunt group goes OUT the mediatrix gateway, isn't extention 104 on line3 which is ISDN out the mediatrix?

Hunt Groups:

500:name=ctbHunt,117,104,hunt=re; 7;    3

line 3 goes to 236589800:500|236589801:101|236589802:102|236589803:103|236589804:104

Dan,

you are correct: ext 104 is in Line 3 (Mediatrix) contact list.

I understand you are looking at the problem the way I explained it in my opening post, i.e. occurring when a call comes in on Line 3 through the Mediatrix.

However, when performing the tests that Mauro suggested (different hunt group configs with/without CTI Enable on the SPA9000) I found out that the problem occurs in exactly the same manner even if the hunt group is called from an internal extension (so, no Mediatrix involved).

Moreover, the same problem occurs if a call comes in through Line 1 (ITSP) which has the hunt goup as its only contact (again, no Mediatrix involved).

That is why I did not see (and I still don't) see the point in keeping the Mediatrix in the picture.

Thanks again for your effort.

Vince

ctbconsulting
Level 1
Level 1

One useful bit of information for anyone who runs into this problem and ends up un this thread: here is a workaround for you.

If you enabled CTI on the SPA9000 to be able to dial through your SPA phone (e.g. from your PC desktop as in our case) please be aware that you just need to have CTI enabled on the phone not on the SPA9000.

Enabling CTI on the SPA9000 will break your hunt groups and does not have any effect on your ability to place the call through your SPA phone. Only thing that matters is having CTI enabled on the phone (SIP Tab, SIP Parameters section).

The tricky bit is that - by default - the SPA9000 provisions all registered SPA phones at reboot. So, if you just enable CTI on the phone and for some reason either the phone or the SPA9000 reboots, the phone will revert to the CTI setting on the SPA9000 (i.e. disabled).

Only way around that - as far as I can see - is disabling the automatic resync of the phone:

- Access the SPA phone web admin page

- Provisioning tab

- Set "Resync on reset" to "no"

Of course the ideal solution would be stopping the CTI Enabled setting on the SPA9000 from breaking the Hunt Groups.

However, I'm afraid that - despite their best efforts which I truly appreciate - the Cisco guys won't be able to do that.

But, hey, with the SPA9000 we got what I think was the best value-for-money deal ever on an IPBX. I guess we can live with a few minor rough edges, can't we?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: