Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA942 MWI with asterisk

vabdulla0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello list,

I am trying to make the message waiting indicator work with asterisk 1.6 and spa942 (firmware 6.1.5a). I have activated it on the phone and I see the SUBSCRIBE message sent to my asterisk server.

The issue is that the phone is subscribing with "Event: missed-call-summary". But this event package is not understood by asterisk and it gets a "489 Bad Event" reply. The only event package supported by asterisk or opensips is "Event: message-summary" (rfc 3842.)

Is it possible to force the phone to send 'message-summary' instead of 'missed-call-summary' ?

If not, can anybody point me to any document describing the call-flow of the sip messages in for missed-call-summary ? I would like to know what is expected by the phone on the NOTIFY message to see if I can adapt the current MWI implementation on server side to handle this event also... ;)

Thank you !

- vma

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

For the subscribe to voicemail box, this only occurs one time.  During the initial contact with the voicemail box, which is pretty much during the boot up for the phone.  You would see just one subscribe with the Event: message-summary and the Expires: 2147483647.

Verify this by running a capture or a debug log and reboot the phone, you should see the initial subscribe to voicemail.  Make sure the Voicemail Server parameter is set, located in the Ext  tab under Call Feature Settings.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

For the subscribe to voicemail box, this only occurs one time.  During the initial contact with the voicemail box, which is pretty much during the boot up for the phone.  You would see just one subscribe with the Event: message-summary and the Expires: 2147483647.

Verify this by running a capture or a debug log and reboot the phone, you should see the initial subscribe to voicemail.  Make sure the Voicemail Server parameter is set, located in the Ext  tab under Call Feature Settings.

You are right !

When I set the voicemail server parameter, I have the subscription with Event: message-summary which is correctly understood by Asterisk.

After further tests, I have found that the subscription with Event: missed-call-summary is triggered by the "CFWD Notify Serv" param. What is the purpose of this param ?

Perhaps it can help me to solve a long standing issue regarding the missed call notification: when an incoming call is dispatched to multiples phones, it is marked as missed on all phones except the one who answered the call. This "feature" is really disturbing for our customers.  Is there any documentation on the missed-call-summary event package ?

Thank you !

From the spa500 admin guide regarding CFWD Notify Serv.  You can download the admin guide from cisco.com.

--

Specifies whether to enable a SIP-B feature regarding

the sending of a Notify to the phone when a call is

forwarded elsewhere.

Defaults to No.

Regarding the missed call, you can go to the user tab and user supplementary services, change 'miss call shortcut' from yes to no.

t

-e

R

Thanks for the hint. The SIP-B feature looks interesting: i'll try it.

Regarding the missed calls shorcut, it does not really help as the actual missed calls are also lost...

SIP-B is Sylantro.  I don't believe Asterisk is compliant.

According to RFC 3265, 'The period of   time in the response is the one which defines the duration of the   subscription'. However, the phones just ignore this value and keep on as if they were subscribed (even when they get a NOTIFY stating that the subscription has expired).

So, if I set in my SIP proxy an expires value of, say, 3600, after an hour phones won't re-subscribe neither will they receive any notify, of course. But if I set proxy's expires value to a extremely huge amount of time as you do, I will get a new everlasting subscription in my proxy everytime I reboot the phone (which in a big deployment could be thousands of database entrances per day)

Are you planning to solve this issue? I'm aware other Linksys products have a "MWI subscription timeout" (or something alike) parameter. Why don't SPA4XX phones have this?

Regards

I've relayed your comments to mgmt.  You are correct in that the ATA's like spa2102 has the parameter but none of the phones have the parameter.  The subscribe on the phones are defaulted to a very large number that isn't configurable. So at this time, you'd have to not send an expire like what you've stated.

The spa5xx series does have that parameter, called Voice Mail Subscribe Interval introduced in version 7.4.4.  The 9xx series doesn't have it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: