cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SR520 Teleworker - 8 port PoE switch not working

jcarter
Level 4
Level 4

I have a SR520 set up at a remote site connecting to a UC540.  The VPN connection works fine.  If I plug phones into the SR520 with power cords, they register and work with no problems.  When I try to connect a Cisco 8 port PoE switch, I cannot get the phones to register that are connected to that switch.   I plugged the 8 port switch into the SR520.  I changed the role of that port to switch in the smart port section.  Does anyone know why this wouldn't work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm guessing to some extent here, but I think it likely that there is a mis-match between the configuration of the SR520 and the switch with regards to voice VLAN.  I don't remember offhand whether CCA automatically configures the SR520 with separate voice and data vlans, but certainly several of the switches include a voice VLAN configured by default.  So there are two possible scenarios:

1. The SR520 has not voice vlan and the switch has the factory default voice vlan.  In this case, when the phones are plugged into the switch, they will install into the voice vlan and then not be able to talk to the SR520 to get a DHCP address and be able to contact the UC500.

2. The SR520 has a voice vlan configured and the switch being used does not have the voice vlan by default.  In this case, the phone would likely see the CDP messages telling it to install in the voice vlan but then the switch is not configured to forward frames for that VLAN.

As I said, I'm guessing a bit here as I don't have an SR520 handy to check that config and you don't specify the model of switch you are using, but from what you have described, a mismatch in the setup with regards to the voice vlan seems like the most likely cause for this problem.

Cheers,

Dave.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rvaltier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason

When you connect the phone to SR520, which IP address is the ip-phone getting?

Is it the same when you plug the switch to SR520?

What type of switch do you have? does it have any vlan configuration enabled? I think it is more related to your switch configuration.

Regards,

Rogelio V.

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm guessing to some extent here, but I think it likely that there is a mis-match between the configuration of the SR520 and the switch with regards to voice VLAN.  I don't remember offhand whether CCA automatically configures the SR520 with separate voice and data vlans, but certainly several of the switches include a voice VLAN configured by default.  So there are two possible scenarios:

1. The SR520 has not voice vlan and the switch has the factory default voice vlan.  In this case, when the phones are plugged into the switch, they will install into the voice vlan and then not be able to talk to the SR520 to get a DHCP address and be able to contact the UC500.

2. The SR520 has a voice vlan configured and the switch being used does not have the voice vlan by default.  In this case, the phone would likely see the CDP messages telling it to install in the voice vlan but then the switch is not configured to forward frames for that VLAN.

As I said, I'm guessing a bit here as I don't have an SR520 handy to check that config and you don't specify the model of switch you are using, but from what you have described, a mismatch in the setup with regards to the voice vlan seems like the most likely cause for this problem.

Cheers,

Dave.

Very close.  The esw switch has cdp enabled with a default voice vlan of 100.  I turned that off and it worked.

Also, I had added VLAN 75 untagged to the ports previously.

Thanks for the help.

I am late to this party but did write this recently.  COnfiguring the Remote teleworker off the UC500

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15031

Thanks for the guide.  I did use that for most of the configuration.  I does not cover how to configure the esw switch in that environment.

One interesting thing I noticed.  When I setup the SR520 in our lab, the vpn tunnel and phones worked without setting up split tunneling at the main site.  When I took the SR520 out to the production site, it would not work unless I setup split tunneling at the main site.