cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange SPA525G2 behavior

JOHN THIEN
Level 1
Level 1

After successfully getting the SPA525G2 connected via VPN to the UC-540, the phone kept saying it was donig an update, and then rebooting.  It was stuck in that loop.  If I disconnected the phone from the network, it was fine.

So I moved the phone back to a direct connection to the UC540, and it kept doing the "updating" and rebooting loop.

During this loop, I was able to go into the phone and check the status, and the IP address the phone was using was in the range of the VPN range it would have used if it was on the VPN.  So I deleted all the VPN settings, yet the phone keeps rebooting.

I think the tftp server on the UC540 probably has a "bad" or "corrupt" or just "old" configuration file for this phone, that SHOULD have been deleted when I deleted the phone from the configuration, or when I at least deleted the VPN.  But I suspect the file is still there, the phone is booting up and going to the tftp server and seeing the file (by mac address) downloading it, and getting screwed up.  I base this on my experience setting up Asterisk servers.

ANYWAY, any ideas?                  

2 Replies 2

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello John,

I would first check the current firmware version on the SPA525G2, and then compare that to what the UC540 is trying to load.  If these do not match, then the upgrade or downgrade is not working for some reason.

Another thing you can do is to re-create the CNF files on the UC540.

Conf t

telephony-service

no create cnf

create cnf

This will delete and re-create your configuration files on the UC540.

Thank you,

Darren

Thank you for the suggestions.

I decided to just reset the unit to factory defaults and start over.  And that worked great.

The thing is, this is the first UC540 I've used.  The first Cisco ANYTHING I've used.  My previous experience is with Asterisk boxes.  So I've had a bit of a learning curve as to the Cisco way.  And I figured the best way to learn was to dive in and try to setup a small system.

So at some point I probably did something that caused a problem.  No big deal, I did the factory reset, did the initial setup, got the SIP trunk working, and then setup the phones.  It went very quickly and I now have the SPA525G2 working as a remote phone via its wireless interface, via VPN.

Now that I have all the networking more or less figured out, I can move onto the features of the system, like voice mail, like seeing how BT headsets work, etc.

Thank you again for your help!