cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thinking of buying new/old stock UC520 - have questions

buddieipx
Level 1
Level 1

I have an chance to buy a new old-stock  UC520-8U-4FXO-K9 and I have a couple of questions.

1: Do the user licenses that the unit comes with cover everything that is needed to register a phone or does the phone itself also need a license as well? I ask this because I have notied that there are phone licenses available as well user licenses.

2: Does the unit truly ship with all necessary software/call management software/ etc  to run a simple 8 phone user, all in office, voip to provider pstn setup? Are there some other unmentioned software/lecenses that are necessary?

Thanks in advance to any one who can spare a minute on this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Michael,

1. The unit license for the phones are the number of the phones which may be registered with the system simultaneously.

e.g. if you have 8 licenses you can register 8 phones at a time.

You do not need to additional licenses for the phones. You will need licence for the CIPC (softphone) if you use such as it is a software like any other paid software but the license is not for the UC (and it is not installed on it) it is for the usage on the PC. The CIPC will use one of the user licenses from the UC as it is a normal IP phone from UC perspective.

2. The model you mentioned includes 4FXO (PSTN) ports and also support sip trunk with SIP provider. So if you use FXO you may use 4 lines and you may add sip account (voip) if you need additional lines.

You may check the following guide to check what options you may use on the UC and see waht is included with this model:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/sbcs/uc500/hardware/quick/guide/UC520_QSG.pdf

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello Michael,

1. The unit license for the phones are the number of the phones which may be registered with the system simultaneously.

e.g. if you have 8 licenses you can register 8 phones at a time.

You do not need to additional licenses for the phones. You will need licence for the CIPC (softphone) if you use such as it is a software like any other paid software but the license is not for the UC (and it is not installed on it) it is for the usage on the PC. The CIPC will use one of the user licenses from the UC as it is a normal IP phone from UC perspective.

2. The model you mentioned includes 4FXO (PSTN) ports and also support sip trunk with SIP provider. So if you use FXO you may use 4 lines and you may add sip account (voip) if you need additional lines.

You may check the following guide to check what options you may use on the UC and see waht is included with this model:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/sbcs/uc500/hardware/quick/guide/UC520_QSG.pdf

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

buddieipx
Level 1
Level 1

Thank for your reply Alexander, some usefull information.

I had not thought yet of the softphone software/licensing, good to know! That really clears up my phone licensing concerns, thank you.

We have 6 pstn lines coming in so I would imagine a VIC2-4FXO (or which ever one is compatible with the unit)add in would be in order as well.

Maybe i should repost for this but I was wondering if all the licensing/software can be passed on to another owner if it is sold as used? Does it all stay with the unit forever or does it die with the first owner kind of like an oem operating system?

Thanks very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: