Views
Helpful
Replies

Typo in BE6000S quick start guide

christoph.hable
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Verifying the quick start guide and comparing it with config templates there is a typo with the interface OR my config template is not valid to factory version:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/BE6000/78_docs/10_5_1/BE6000S/BE6000S_QSG_2.pdf

"Step 7. Connect Ethernet Port GE0/0 ( 19 ) to the local data network." -> from my point of knowledge this should be GE 0/1

Additionally i miss the connections for the UCSE module which should to be required, shouldn't it?

BR

Christoph

12 Replies 12

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Christoph,

Thanks again for the feedback.

I'm reviewing some of the content in the BE6000S (Preconfigured applications) install guide at the moment.  Please expect some additional detail there soon.

To answer your questions:

The default connectivity model for the BE6000S is for it to host the 172.27.199.0/26 subnet - primarily for the applications hosted on the UCSE blade.  Extended connectivity to this subnet (if you need it to connect to a phone VLAN or another host running applications) is bridged via GE0/1.

Routed connectivity in to the rest of the enterprise IP network is intended to be via GE0/0 which should be assigned a static IP address from the corporate network.

The GE interfaces on the blade itself are not intended to be used initially (although they may in the future), as ESXi does not support bridging traffic between pNICs - i.e. if you were to connect via GE2, you wouldn't be able to reach the ISR via the internal GE connection.  This is why we use GE0/1 and BVI1 in the IOS template.

Hope that helps for now.

Andy

Hi Andrew,

Do you have an implementation guide for BE6000S? I'am having a hard time finding it..

Regard,

Adrian

Andrew,

is there any update on a new install guide? I also have just unboxed and connected to network. I would like to put on existing voice vlan and would like details on what the different connection methods do and how to connect.

Hi,

We are working on a specific BE6000S version of the current install guide.  This will have some of the information you need.  In the meantime, here is a summary of how the BE6000S is configured to use its interfaces.

Interface Gi0/0 - Routed interface to the appliance.  By default, this will take an address from DHCP.  Set up routing in your network to get to the default 172.27.199.0/26 subnet via this address.

Interface Gi0/1 - Layer 2 interface bridged to the UCS-E blade.  By default if you connect a PC to this port you will get a 172.27.199.0/26 address assigned via DHCP.

Interface Gi0/2 and the two external UCSE ports are not used.

Hope that helps a little,

Andy

Andrew,

thank you, I look forward to obtaining the update. I am trying to configure the new setup to use a voice vlan of 10.14.0.0/24 . While I can ping the router and CIMC from network I cannot access the be6000. I have configured address in console for the vmware on same 10.14.0.0 but cannot ping to or from. Thoughts ? Thanks in advance

Hi,

Sounds like a default gateway / routing issue.  I assume that you are using the same voice vlan across the network, so in the context of the default configuration (there are many other ways this could be done), you'd connect to interface Gi0/1.  The IP address for the router would be configured on interface BVI1 and CIMC on ucse1/0 with it's default GW pointing to your subnet DGW IP (sounds like you already did this).

So provided that you configure ESXi (and the collaboration applications) with IP addressing in the voice vlan and your DGW / DNS settings you ought to be ok.

The alternative, would be to leave the IOS configuration as it is and use your voice VLAN purely external to the BE6000S.  You just then need to connect via Gi0/0 and configure that with an IP from your VVLAN.  To get traffic in and out of the blade, add a route to 172.27.199.0/26 via this Gi0/0 address.  Also add a default gateway / default route to the BE6000S directed to the VVLAN DGW.

Make sense?

FWIW, see below for a connectivity diagram for the BE6000S - apologies for the quality :-).

BE6000S

Andy

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking time to reply. I will look at this and adjust accordingly. Do you know when expected be6000s configuration guide will be public? Would like to snag one for refference.

Have a great weekend

Should be sometime in the next few weeks.

Andy

Hope all is well Andrew!! I had a question, when this is ready for publishing where will it be posted ?

Happy holidays 

Hello Andrew

sorry I know this is an old discussion , but is it still the case that GE 2 and GE3 are not used ?.

thx

Not in the default configuration, it's just the internal interface that is used. 

If you'd prefer to use the external interfaces instead when you set up the system, there is no issue with that.  (Just remember that ESXi will not forward packets directly between interfaces of a vSwitch).

Regards,

Andy

ben.dimick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Christoph,

I know this is a little late, but what I found works best is to connect a PC to G0/1. This port will have a DHCP server running, but you can manually assign an IP in the 172.27.199.0/26 network (something between 32-62 is recommended since anything below that may be taken). Once you're in, SSH to 172.27.199.1. This is the router/voice gateway hardware (it also uses .2 and .5 in that same network). From here, you can configure an IP on G0/0 and define routing for the entire BE6KS network. G0/0 uses DHCP by default, but this is hard to get routing tables configured on the enterprise side and makes it hard to administer. Now you can connect G0/0 to the rest of your network and get connectivity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: