cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC300 / UC320

Cartier
Level 1
Level 1

Does the UC300/320 support "follow me"(hunt) option through external lines?

For example a user has a local SPA5XX phone and a cell phone. You dial his extention, it rings on the cell and SPA phone.

IF so:

will the caller id on the cell phone show the right caller id?

Is it possible the user must first confirm answer (by pressing 1 for example) before rooting call.

without confirmation, in general if the users cell phone is off or unavailable the call wont ring at the office but go straight to voice mail on his cell. the confirmation also insures that the voicemail of the uc300 will always win.

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Anthony,

Not sure if this is in fact the same question as the one you posted in the UC-500 forum or not, your explanations are different

For example a user has a local SPA5XX phone and a cell phone. You dial his extention, it rings on the cell and SPA phone

I know this as Single Number Reach or SNR as Cisco call it with the UC-500 series, I have not seen this on the UC-320W yet, but then again I have not spent a great deal of time just yet going through the entire inner workings of the 320, if it does not have SNR then I am sure there might be a work around that could work in likeness but not quite the same, maybe follow-me could do something similar but follow-me is pretty much a Call-Forward if I am not mistaken, or at least this is how Asterisk treated it

IF so:

will the caller id on the cell phone show the right caller id?

Is it possible the user must first confirm answer (by pressing 1 for example) before rooting call.

I disclaimer the following answer as being country specific and may not apply to where you are located

However here in Australia if a call comes in on FXO-0 and has caller ID of 3238888 and then SNR or Follow-me is to kick in and go out FXO-1 then the CLID attached to that PSTN by the carrier would be displayed, not the incoming call, this is because the carrier will not allow for number presentation other than a specific number or numbers within a range supplied to you on that line.... But in saying that other countries and carrier may not impose this on you, and I would suggest you look into this, as for the UC-320 supporting the pushing of the incoming CLI on a bridged call, I just can not see anywhere in the configuration of this being allowed.

without confirmation, in general if the users cell phone is off or unavailable the call wont ring at the office but go straight to voice mail on his cell. the confirmation also insures that the voicemail of the uc300 will always win.

Ok this is a difficult question to ask, there are so many factors/variables that can dictate the answer for this

Firstly if you are using SNR then which VM wins would be dictated by the timer set on the system, if it is shorter then your mobile carriers time-out then yes the local VM would win, but if the local time-out is longer then your mobile carriers time-out then the mobile VM would win. I guess what I am getting at here is that it depends on how you configure the time-outs on the far end, then of course you have issues of mobiles being switched of or out of range, as far as the UC320 is concerned the call has gone to answer... Here in lays the problem, this can cause expensive bills because the FXO line may not hang-up unless the far end sends the tare-down signal, and sometimes this does not happen on PSTN lines, it does on BRI/PRI or SIP.

All-in-all consider using SIP trunks for fancy stuff like this, try and avoid as much as possible using PSTN (FXO) as this old legacy technology has inherent issues that can cause you endless grief, trust me on this one

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anthony;

Single Number Reach is not available on the UC320.

As an alternative, knowing that it is not as advanced or fancy as full SNR, I suggest to use a hunt group (including your extension) and cfwd no answer to the cellphone. Only thing on this case is that VM in use for these calls would be your cellphone VM and not UC320 VM.

Regards
Alberto

Can i create a Hunt Group "Ring All" and include external numbers (cell phone) in the list?

Lets hope cisco adds these options in future upgrades. Small SMB (under 16users)  need these functions the most since they are companies that have have staff doing multiple task, and have staff that need to be reach at extended hours.

This and the other post are the only two options that I would need to "figure out" that were not clearly listed in the administration guide everything else looks perfect 

I think with the alternatives that you and the other suggested are good substitutes. 

Anthony

Hi Anthony;

Not possible to include external phones on hunt groups, just on call forward no answer.

Regards

Alberto

Hi David,

As for Canada, if we use PSTN (FXI/O) then the caller id that is pushed out is the PSTN line. But when we SIP line some carrier allow us to "customise" the CID. I could have a seperate Caller id for each of my extentions (in Asterisk) so when i call out, using sip, the recepients see "my Company Name - My Name" and if i have a direct extention instead of seeing the Main number i could have my direct line show up.

The most pratical use is when someone call into our office and internal staff blind transfer the line out to a cell phone. Then we see who is actually calling and not the office number (typicaly users dont answer the same way when its staff calling or a end user.)

Anthon

Hi Alberto

Can I create an extention, have it permanently forward to a cell phone and then add this extention to a hunt group?

for example, i have my extention (501) and a second extention, 601, that is always forwared to my cell phone

I then create a "ring all" hunt group with 501 and 601 ? (then i would simulate a ring all with external lines)

Anthony

Hi Anthony;

It is not very straight forward as the call forward is handled at the phone, so need a physical phone to do call forward all. You will lose the usability of the phone for incoming calls.

Regards
Alberto

Ok,

I can program just an extention on a free line key and forward it.  Its not the best solution but it will work as a workaround.

I will keep my fingers crossed that an update will add a few extra features.

Thanks! I will order a NFR unit today and start evaluating the product

Anthony

Alberto:

My question is similar although, i want the function for remote users that will not have a phone on the system at all:

Just an extension.

I want to find a way to forward all calls to a specific person directly to their cell phone. Can this be set up on the UC320?

You mention that it is not straightforward as it is handled at the phone. Does the mean the phone is setting the command on the UC320?

If so can I use a phone to set up the forwarding and then reset the phone for another user and extension?

if not is there a workaround that will allow for no phone connected and calls to a specific user forwarding to that users cell phone?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: