cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 and Cisco Catalyst 2960G switch

microbyte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi -- has anyone any experience of and/or pointers to using a UC320 with phones connected via a C2960G switch?

We have this situation. I've enabled CDP and VLAN 100 on the switch and ports, but there are few funny things happening. IOS is 12.2(44)SE from memory.

Any pointers welcomed.

Thanks,

Gary

2 Replies 2

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Gary,

The switch port configuration of your switch should look something like:

interface gi 0/1

description "connection to phone where vlan 100 is the voice vlan and vlan 1 is the data vlan"

switchport voice vlan 100

!

The voice vlan command does two things

1. Amends the CDP announcements from the switch to indicate that the voice vlan is 100 (and to use this if you're a phone)

2. Makes the switch forward vlan 100 as 8021q tagged frames and to accept vlan100 tagged frames and insert into vlan 100's forwarding table

i.e. the config is functionally similar to

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,100

switchport native vlan 1

!

This is a little confusing, I think they did it to make the switch config look like a straight forward access port but to enable a bit of voice in a simple controlled manner.

Some older IOS may function better with the second method and for sure if you come accross an old XL switch.

Also make sure vlan 100 exists on your switch

i.e.

conf t

vlan 100

name myvoicevlan

Hope this helps

Adam

microbyte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks.

Here's the resolution AFAIK:

The issues we were having came down to switchport security. In particular the port that was the trunk to the rest of the network. So, I set the port mode to dynamic and disabled all the security and all the wierdness went away.

The configuration settings had all been placed there by the web interface to the 2960, so I was in the place of having to undo those settings.

Adam: thanks for your help - I had done those things already using the guide for the SF series switches as a clue (create the voice vlan, put the ports in the vlan, enable CDP, etc.).

Hope this helps some one else.

Regards,

Gary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: