cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 and Door Intercom

tomross
Level 1
Level 1

I have an application where the UC320 will be replacing a 15 year old PBX system. The only hold-out from this is that the front door has a single button speakere phone that rings all the internal phones when the buton is pressed. A user can pickup the phone and talk to the person at the door.

Can anyone tell me if this is a dooable item with the 320??

Thanks

T

3 Replies 3

ajchellew
Level 1
Level 1

Tom,

I am hoping that once the security company who installed our new offices door intercom tell me what they did with the cable running to the server room I will be able to answer part of this question. As far as I can tell it should function as a FXO line and incoming calls from that line should be able to be directed at all (or a subset) of phones attached to the PBX.

Unlocking the door via the PBX is the part I don't see a way of achieving as the door relay circuit must be closed and this is physically done by the door entry phones, your scenario may be different.

Regards

Tony

aleestma56mz
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, it is workable.  You have a couple different options.

1. You can purchase a doorbell fon that will simply connect to one of the FXO ports and act as traditional ohone line.  Someone pressess the call button, the phones will ring, you can pick up the phone and talk.  You can even add a door-strike or mag lock to grant access; it works with DTMF tones.

http://www.smarthome.com/5070C/DoorBell-Fon-DP-28IT-Door-Answering-System-Ivory/p.aspx

Theres other styles available, that one is the most basic.

2. (Less appealing) You can dismantle a SPA504G and run the speakerphone/mic wires to a remote location.  So for example, if someone rings my doorbell, I'll dial *96111 and talk to whoever is at the door.  Dialing a Preceding *96 automatically picks up the target phone on speakerphone.  If you go this route make sure to use shielded cable for the microphone wiring.  Dismantling a SPA504G and connecting to the wires is pretty easy.   I've used the below speaker/mic combo.

http://www.amazon.com/Hai-SURFACE-SPKR-MIC-MODULE/dp/B0002M5OW0

Aaron

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be going on site to see what the client is currently using. I suspect their present phone system has the same kind of interface. I will have to use the door-chime/speaker phone as-is, and get an interface to use it as a phone. once that is setup i think its just a matter of programming the 320 to do what we need.

Ill lete you know how it turns out!

T

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: