cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 downstream from RV082

pingme2day
Level 1
Level 1

Existing installation for a client who is currently using the RV082 and load balancing two ADSL lines. ISP is providing a multiplexor to "bond" the two ADSL lines. (Rural location prevents availability of other ISP, i.e, cable, etc) Additionally, the client is currently using the SPA9000 + SPA400 and 3 SPA962 IP phones connected via a POE Switch that hangs off the RV082 (10/100 ports)

The question is: what does the client gain by upgrading to the UC320 or is the UC320 basically the SPA9000 and the SPA400 combined into a new box with a fresh management interface?  Can the UC320 be integrated into the network downstream from the current RV082? Would the UC320 be connected to the DMZ port of the RV082, which will be available when the "multiplexor" is setup by the ISP or would it be configured as VLAN2 on one of the ports on the RV082? Additionally the client would have to upgrade all their IP phones in addition to replacing the SPA9000 + SPA400 so is there any real benefit to upgrading to the UC320 and what feature would be gained? Thanks, in advance, for any comments or suggestions.

5 Replies 5

Hi Gordon,

Some of the benefits of the UC320W over the SPA9000 include:

• SIGNIFICANTLY simplified and easier provisioning of the system -- provision everything via one GUI
  • Long term support:  UC320W is actively being developed while SPA9000 is no longer being sold
  • Gigabit interfaces
  • Wireless N built in
  • simplified firmware management -- install one firmware file and system upgrades all connected SPA devices automatically.
  • Voicemail to e-mail feature -- e-mail notifications of voicemail messages with attached message
  • Support for SPA8800 if you need more FXO/FXS ports
  • Automatic system backup
  • Cloud based services integrated (upgrade notifications, support tools, etc)
  • Increased capacity supporting up to 24 phones

The UC320 solution supports the SPA303,301, and SPA500 series phones and SPA8800 FXS/FXO gateway.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Message was edited by: Christopher Edgeworth

Hi Gordon;

In addition to what Chris commented (thanks Chris), there are several enhancements from the pure call-control side:

- Support for share lines (FXO), true emulation of key system functionality

- Day/Night ringing mode, call forwarding

- 2 level AA vs. 1 level AA in SPA9000

- Paging groups

- External audio ports for paging speaker system and MOH (possibility to have ambient music)

- 24 users vs 16

--- and more. Suggest you have a look at the feature guide available on www.cisco.com/go/uc300

Regards
Alberto

Thank you Alberto and Chris for your prompt and helpful replies. I do understand that the SPA9000 and SPA400 have reached their EOL and will no longer be supported. Additionally the feature set in the UC320 certainly is more robust. Hopefully Cisco will continue to enhance the product and add more functionality, i.e. remote users. My client is also considering 3CX as a replacement to their current solution, however the compact design  and lower power consumption of the UC320 is also an important factor, in addition to not having another server to manage. However, the 3CX solution would enable them to keep their investment in the IP phones they have and it contains features that are only available in future firmware upgrades to the UC320. (softphones and remote users).

My other concern/question is; will my client be able to use their existing RV082 router or do they have to upgrade to the SA520 which seems to be very simular in the feature set of the RV082. And can the UC320 use the DMZ port on that router?

Again, thank you, in advance, for the assistance with these concerns.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

On paper, you should be able to use the RV082 in the  network although it isn't one of the edge devices we use in our solution test  labs.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the reply. If my client can use their existing equipment that will help with their budget. Once their phone system is upgraded then they can upgrade the RV082 to the prefered edge device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: