Replies

UC320 greyfield deployment as voice-only question

devin.culp
Level 1
Level 1

Equipment:

UC320

Brighthouse SIP trunk (6-lines)

SF300 24port switch (Vlan1 data, Vlan100 voice)

SonicWall TZ-100 (exisiting router/firewall)

I have attached a pdf file for the test network layout at the bottom of this post.

I am about to test a deployment where the customer has a sonicwall, I want to deploy the UC320 as voice-only so the SonicWall will provide DHCP for data network. Were looking at 12 workstation and 12 SPA303 phones. My question is for the WAN interface I want to create a point-to-point /30 interface private IP network to the Sonicwall enabling NAT for it.

Questions:

1. Do I need to setup QoS on the interface connecting to the SonicWall (existing third party router/firewall)?

2. Do I only need to NAT the point-to-point network or do I also need to include the voice network which I assume I do not.

3. For PBX and Blended mode, do I need to select blended mode if I want to keep 1 FXO port and use the FXS port for emergency phone or Fax. I do not fully understand the FXS port on the UC320 can someone please explain. Would it be eaiser to just leave the fax outside of the UC320 if so do I lose benifits from UC320?

Last note this is just for testing before deployment as I am still getting familiar with this appliance. In my diagram I do have another option where I do not use the Sonicwall for my UC320 WAN port but go directly to the cable router for a public static IP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

juliomar
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Devin,

1) Yes you do want ot setup QOS on the interface connected to the UC320W's WAN interface as you want to make sure that SIP voice traffic gets priority over data traffic.

2) No you do not need to include the voice network to your router.

3) You can still use FXO on PBX mode.  You just would need to use a steering digit to dial external numbers thru your FXO line.  In Blend Mode you can set the FXO as a shared FXO line, and be able to dial out without requiring a steering digit (You can dial 911 instead of 9 + 911)

You can use the FXS port on the UC320W to connect an analog phone to the UC320W, and have it dial thru any of the UC320W outbound trunks.  Typical use is for wireless analog phones.

I hope this helps get you going.

Cheers,

Julio

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

juliomar
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Devin,

1) Yes you do want ot setup QOS on the interface connected to the UC320W's WAN interface as you want to make sure that SIP voice traffic gets priority over data traffic.

2) No you do not need to include the voice network to your router.

3) You can still use FXO on PBX mode.  You just would need to use a steering digit to dial external numbers thru your FXO line.  In Blend Mode you can set the FXO as a shared FXO line, and be able to dial out without requiring a steering digit (You can dial 911 instead of 9 + 911)

You can use the FXS port on the UC320W to connect an analog phone to the UC320W, and have it dial thru any of the UC320W outbound trunks.  Typical use is for wireless analog phones.

I hope this helps get you going.

Cheers,

Julio

I appreciate the quick response was very helpful. Thank you