cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 + SG200-26P Two ISP (One voice and one LAN)

Michael Russo
Level 1
Level 1

Is this possible?

I have a UC320, a SG200 Switch, and 6 phones.  I have them all configured working off one of ISP (Comcast).  I originally had 4 FXO ports for the phone service.  I am now moving to a VoIP provider (CBEYOND) and they tell me that I can't use my Comcast to route the voice.

Is it possible that I can set this up to use the voice for my phones only, and my Comcast for my data?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Michael,

With your current hardware you can connect your UC320W to the CBeyond T1 router, and have all the data devices connect out thru the Comcast gateway.  This is assuming that the comcast gateway offers some firewall features.

The Comcast modem should be the dhcp server for the data vlan of the office.  I suggest to reserve a static IP address for the LAN side of the UC320W on the subnet that the Comcast router's LAN uses.

Connect the UC320W's WAN interface to the CBeyond router providing the T1 line. The SIP trunk will connect thru the CBeyond T1 router.  Configure the UC320W's topology as route voice only.   Input a static IP address for the LAN side of the UC320W. 

The Switch should have untagged VLAN1 for data and tagged 100 for voice.  Connect switch to the Comcast Gateway/Router.  Connect switch to the UC320W as trunk.  All data devices will route thru the Comcast Gateway, while the phones will route voice thru the UC320W and out to the CBeyond T1 router.

If however you would like to place a more feature-rich firewall in front of your data and voice, then the solution as mentioned by Mike is to put a firewall that acepts dual WANs.   Something along the lines of a Cisco SA500. You just need to configure Protocol Routing rules so that all traffic destined for CBeyond (SIP, RTP, NTP) go out the interface attached to the CBeyond T1 router.   Alll other data can go out the Wan interface attached to the Comcast router. 

Hope this helps to get you going.

Cheers,

Julio

View solution in original post

Hi Michael,

The WAN interface of the UC320W doesn't respond to pings unless you enable WAN ping responses via a PMF.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16301

You probably won't be able to ping the phones from your PC because your router doesn't know how to reach the voice network.  For this you would need to add a route that points 10.1.1.0/24 to your LAN side IP address of the UC320W.

Did you power cycle the switch after changing your network topology?  If it was using DHCP it may have the old IP address.  If you can get into the switch you might look at it's CDP neighbors to make sure the UC320W is on the IP address you expect.

You might check all your static IP address information, if the net mask is off, etc you won't get very far. 

Hope this helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi,

I'm a little unclear of what your ultimate goal is.  The UC320W can be configure with both a SIP trunk and FXO circuits.  You can configure it so that when you make an outbound call the user can select which resource they use to make an outbound call ex.  8 + addr for FXO lines, 9+ addr for SIP trunk.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Basically I have internet through Comcast.. I want to use them ONLY for my Data as I can't use it with my voice (Cbeyond).

Cbeyond supplied me a T1 line that is used with my UC320 for voice, but it is also being used for data.. I can't figure out where I should plug in my Comcast modem to use its internet solely for data, and not voice.  Or better yet, use Comcast as my main data for everything, and Cbeyond as a backup if one fails.

Hey Michael I'm in the same boat as you and you probably already know you will need a dual wan firewall.  Pretty much you want to load balance it probably or seperate them (like use all web traffic for comcast, and T1 for vpn and sip calling,etc) 

I wish I could help more but my T1 is not installed and I have not even touched the uc320 yet.  But your UC320 needs to be behind something that can join your two isp's together.  And most likely it's gonna be a dual wan firewall since you probably want a firewall anyway.

Hi Michael,

With your current hardware you can connect your UC320W to the CBeyond T1 router, and have all the data devices connect out thru the Comcast gateway.  This is assuming that the comcast gateway offers some firewall features.

The Comcast modem should be the dhcp server for the data vlan of the office.  I suggest to reserve a static IP address for the LAN side of the UC320W on the subnet that the Comcast router's LAN uses.

Connect the UC320W's WAN interface to the CBeyond router providing the T1 line. The SIP trunk will connect thru the CBeyond T1 router.  Configure the UC320W's topology as route voice only.   Input a static IP address for the LAN side of the UC320W. 

The Switch should have untagged VLAN1 for data and tagged 100 for voice.  Connect switch to the Comcast Gateway/Router.  Connect switch to the UC320W as trunk.  All data devices will route thru the Comcast Gateway, while the phones will route voice thru the UC320W and out to the CBeyond T1 router.

If however you would like to place a more feature-rich firewall in front of your data and voice, then the solution as mentioned by Mike is to put a firewall that acepts dual WANs.   Something along the lines of a Cisco SA500. You just need to configure Protocol Routing rules so that all traffic destined for CBeyond (SIP, RTP, NTP) go out the interface attached to the CBeyond T1 router.   Alll other data can go out the Wan interface attached to the Comcast router. 

Hope this helps to get you going.

Cheers,

Julio

Hey Julio,

I did that and it worked great, the only problem I have now is that I can't ping the UC320 or the Switch.  It takes me straight to the Comcast Device Settings. 

Hi Michael,

Where in the topology are you originating the ping?

Chris

Chris,

I'm pinging it from one of the computers on the network. All computers are plugged into the switch that the phones are on. No computer can ping the phones, UC320 ,or switch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Michael,

The WAN interface of the UC320W doesn't respond to pings unless you enable WAN ping responses via a PMF.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16301

You probably won't be able to ping the phones from your PC because your router doesn't know how to reach the voice network.  For this you would need to add a route that points 10.1.1.0/24 to your LAN side IP address of the UC320W.

Did you power cycle the switch after changing your network topology?  If it was using DHCP it may have the old IP address.  If you can get into the switch you might look at it's CDP neighbors to make sure the UC320W is on the IP address you expect.

You might check all your static IP address information, if the net mask is off, etc you won't get very far. 

Hope this helps.

Chris

I guess I will find a way to get access to the switch and UC320 and try to dow that you said.  When I'm by the devices, I will try that and see what happens.  The only real way to access the switch or UC320 is to basically reset them correct?  Right now I can't get access to them because they may be programmed incorrectly. 

Yes, a factory reset will get you back to a usable state.  If you need to do that you might disconnect the UC320 from the rest of the network until you can get it configured again.  If you leave it connected, you will have two DHCP servers fighting on the same network (data VLAN).

Chris

I will be messing with this tonight at around 8 PM.. I will let you know how it turns out Chris.

Thanks a lot as always =).

Didn't put the UC320 on a different external server when setting it to Route voice only.

It works now.

Thanks a lot to both of you .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: