cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 Wireless Blocking?

Andy Williams
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a UC320 test system in my office prior to an upcoming customer installation, and have found unusual problems with the data wireless network. I will be deploying the system in an office with a number of wirelessly connected PC's, Macs, printers, and iOS devices. I have found that the Apple Bonjour service appears to not work at all with devices connected through the UC320 wireless. If I connect a Mac via ethernet or wirelessly to the same network through another access point, all works OK.

The customer office will use the UC320 as a basic NAT firewall to the Internet. Thus, the test topolgy is configured for a typical Microsoft Small Business Server network, where the SBS server provides DHCP for the data network with the WAN port connected directly to an ATT DSL modem. The UC320 is configured for WPA-PSK wireless operation, with the voice WLAN not configured at the present time. All office PC's, Mac's, and iOS devices can connect and surf the web fine. However, none of the Apple devices can find or connect to network printers (an HP Officejet 8500A has been tested) or other Bonjour services when connected to the UC320 wireless. The Apple devices can ping the printer and other services, but standard discovery mechanisms don't work, making it difficult to connect.

All other telephony and network systems are working great. Since there appears to be almost no wireless configuration options in the UC320 user interface, how can I make this work for this customer, short of replacing the UC320 wireless with another device?

Thanks,

Andy Williams

2 Replies 2

jeffsand
Level 1
Level 1

Andy,

I apologize for the delay in responding to this but I was wanting to look into this in the lab before responding.  I am seeing some similar issues on the current release that are resolved in the upcoming maintenance release.  Please refer to the following thread about the maintenance release:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2080853

Having said that can I collect some information about your specific failure scenario:

1. Are you using topology 3 (UC320W routes voice and data with external DHCP Server)?
  2. What type of switch are you using?
  3. Do you see Bonjour publications everywhere you expect them except from wireless devices on the UC320W?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Yes, Topology 3 is being used currently. I am currently using a very basic Netgear unmanaged gigabit switch without VLAN capability, in addition to the switch ports on the UC320. All telephones, servers, client devices, and VLAN 100 DHCP are working well. Yes, Bonjour works well on the entire network as long as a client is not connected through the UC320 wireless.

I will watch and test with the updated firmware when released.

Thanks,

Andy Williams