Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 with Netgear Switch

Pete Matheson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are trying to get a UC320 working along with a PoE Netgear switch.

The switch can handle VLANs so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've enabled the Voice VLAN on the Netgear (vlan 100) and Tagged all of the switches ports.

All of the ports are also Untagged on Vlan1 (default vlan)

We have port 48 of the switch connected to one of the UC320 ports.

When we connected a phone, it powers up but goes into a reboot loop as it can't find the UC320.

I'm thinking perhaps we need to do something to the Uplink port on the switch, or perhaps the UC (so that it knows there's a switch involved, rather than just a phone?) But I'm not sure.

Hopefully I'm just being silly and have forgotten something obvious - Any ideas?

8 Replies 8

brendanmicrocad
Level 1
Level 1

Pete,

Did you try enabling "VoiceVLAN" and adding the first 6 digits af your phones MAC addresses to the OUI list?

Thanks,

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Yes I did, still with the same issue though.

I was thinking maybe I've got some of the tagged/untagged the wrong way around, but I don't think I have?

Hi Peter, I've seen this behavior before if you use a switch such as SGE2000 with UC320. The resolution for that was to enable port fast manually on the switch port.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom - it's a Netgear switch that we're connection to and I couldn't see any similar setting for Portfast, or to set the port as a trunk (I couldn't find any trunk settings on the UC320)

Hi Matheson, portfast should be a standard feature under the spanning tree configuration. This should be set for the ports connecting to the phones.

I would be tremendously surprised if that switch does not support it.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I am using a Netgear GS748TP.

Under:

Switching --> STP --> Advanced --> CST Port Configuration

There is a per port option to enable "Fast Link".

Could this be the option you are refering to?

Should we enable this on the port with the Phone system or the port with the phone(s) or both?

Thanks,

Brendan

brendanmicrocad
Level 1
Level 1

Pete,

We found a workaround for this issue is to put an unmanaged switch inbetween the Netgear and the phone. Once we did this the phones were detected and registered properly. This allows us to use the system while we continue to troubleshoot the issue with connecting directly.

Thanks,

Brendan

Ashley Griffin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3COM with a simualr setup, this is what i did.... (and it works very well).

UC320w

|

3COM 48 port (vlan) switch

|

phone

UC320w is on port 10

Phone is on port 13

3COM VLAN 100 has tagged port 10 and 13 (nothing else).

Works like a charm.

Plug phone in to 10 it sees UC320, however i have mine configured to route voice only (no data).

As an update here, plugging a unmanaged switch in to power 13 then the phone in to the unmanaged switch also works with the same VLAN settings as above.