cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320W w/FXO lines flash but no audible ring or tone on phone while in use

jtobia2005
Level 1
Level 1

We recently installed a new UC320W with 8 FXO lines that ring inbound simultaneously at 3 SPA509G phones monitored by receptionists/admins.  Everything works as intended except when all 3 of the SPA509Gs are in use, no audible ring or tone is heard when or 4th-8th line rings.  The additional lines flash on the phone display but no ring or tone is heard and many calls subsequently roll off to a forwarding scheme.  How is this behavior controlled so that those phones emit a ring or tone even when in use if those inbound lines ring?

7 Replies 7

rbordner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeff,

Do the users hear a call waiting tone when they are on an active call and a new call comes in?

Some users want to hear the call waiting tone and others do not so we have a PMF to enable/disable the call waiting tone.

You might also be hitting 2 call apperance on the phones, you can try adding one or more personal extension to each phone  Configuration ->Phone Buttons -> look for "+"  on the personal extensions to add additional call apperences.

Starting point.

Randy

Hi Randy,  Thanks for the response.  The users claim they are not hearing any call waiting tone when they are on an active call and a new call comes in.  I don't mean to be dense but what is a "PMF" to enable/disable the call waiting tone?  This might work.

To clarify: the issue is that when all 3 phones are actively in use with a line, the users claim to hear no tones indicating another call is inbound, yet if they happen to look at the phone display at that moment, they see an inbound line flashing indicating a call is coming inbound... it is just a real toss-up if they happen to see it or not.  Is there a way to preserve the audible ring on those phones for those other inbound FXO lines even if they have a line already in use on that phone?  That would be the best scenario.

I don't think your second suggestion is applicable here since all of the 8 FXO lines appear as lines on each of those 3 phones. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

More information on "PMF" can be found in this online document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16301

I believe the following downloadable PMF file name is what you will need:

CallWaitingToneEnable_USA_CA.pmf

Should play the audio call waiting tone for your users.  Please review the above document link for instructions to download and install the "PMF"  Be sure to apply changes after uploading the PMF into the UC320W inorder for the changes to become active.

Regards,

Randy

Thanks Randall... will try after hours and follow-up with you.

Hi Randy,

That PMF did enable the call-waiting tone successfully, thank you.  They would still prefer to hear the phone actually ring for new incoming lines if possible... is there a way to program the SPA509G or the UC320W to ring when the phone is in use on one line and a secondary line rings?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for confirming the call-waiting tone is operating correctly.  I will have to check with phone team if there is a way to have the phone ring when user is on an active call.

Regards,

Randy

Jeff,

Please email me at rbordner@cisco.com and I'll attach a PMF that plays ring back tone as the call waiting tone!

I did a test and the phone rang for me.  You can test for your client.

Thanks,

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: