cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC500 Inbound Fax to Email on SIP Trunk

econsystems
Level 1
Level 1

Like to find out support via CCA3.1.1 and Pack 8.2.

A client is inquiring about have inbound Fax to their main fax number (already part of sip trunk) to come via email instead of going to the UC540 analog port and to a regular fax machine.

Any direction will be appreciated.

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Brook Powers
Level 1
Level 1

We would also like to learn how to configure this as well for in-house and at 2 different clients.

Our service is predominantly SIP with a fax connected to the analog ports. Once client has 2 POTs lines for redundancy.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Econsystems/Brooke,

As I understand it, you would assign the SIP did to a Fax-2-Email setup, it in theory should be the same a when you set this up on say a 100 in-dial range on a BRI/PRI system.

The only thing is the SIP provide needs to support T.38 and you need to be weary of Fax over SIP it is still not as reliable as your legacy services (From my experience).

I believe you can control this the same way in your in-bound call routing in CCA.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I have enabled the Fax through CCA but CCA does not allow me to add any mailbox for fax.  I have several users configured for voicemail to email and are working great.  In the Add mailbox, none of the mailboxes are displayed.

SIGH!! I don't have access to CCA which can connect to a system anymore, otherwise I would take some screen shots for you and help you out that way

The best I can offer you is to log into your computer via TeamViewer and take a look for you, but I wont be able to do that for a few hours as the kids are forcing me to take them to a theme park before they go back to school...

If you can wait, I will gladly help you out with some remote assistance

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

No rush.

lgaughan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

For fax to email, the UC500 supports the T.37 standard.  However, this is limited to POTS dial-peers only (no VoIP dial-peers).  Since this does not work over SIP Trunks, CCA does not allow the Add of mailboxes associated with SIP Trunk DIDs (only those associated with PSTN Trunk DIDs).

There may be some alternatives to get this to work, which may be either fully or partially outside of CCA configuration.  You can check out this old thread on the subject for some ideas (sorry, link contained in it is old; will have to search for current one, but I thought the basic info presented was useful) :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2019891

Laura

Can someone explain the following to me?

Solution #1 - I can plug a analog fax machine into the UC540 analog port to send & receive faxes.

Solution #2 - I can purchase Vonage, Packet8 or another SIP provider, plug that into the UC540's FXO port and use that to send & receive faxes.

What is the technical limitation preventing SIP to email on the UC540?

My feeling exactly.

At each client we have sip circuit, we forward inbound fax DID to the analog port and plug a good old fax machine there.

Dont understand when I can do that, why i cannot use the fax to email option via the same trunk.

This is a technical limitation based on the current implementation.  We make use of the UC500s DSP hardware to interpret the fax tones and build the TIFF image.  However, with a SIP trunk where the call is not going to a pots ports on the UC500, no DSP is allocated for that call.  As such, we have nothing to decode the tones with.  Of course, technically we could engage a transcoder DSP or similar to do the decode, but that requires additional development work that has yet to be carried out.

I realise this doesn't help in solving the problem, but it may help knowing that there is a good reason why the feature is not supported.

Cheers,

Dave.

Well, at least its not as if the whole market is moving to SIP trunks and looking for an easy and inexpensive way to continue to support faxing.

Well, at least its not as if the whole market is moving to SIP trunks  and looking for an easy and inexpensive way to continue to support  faxing.

LOL I was waiting for someone to post this, I gave it till the end of business today for a post exactly like this

You are spot on though, I just find human responses so predictable these days

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: