cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC500 limiting bandwidth on WAN

timsoto25
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UC520.  We just upgraded from a 6Mbps bonded T1 connection to 100Mbps fiber connection.  We I run a speed test, I only get about 25Mbps.  When I disconnect and plug up a laptop straight to it, I get the full 100Mbps or close to it.  Does the UC limit the WAN interface or is there something I am doing wrong?   

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The UC is not meant to be an high speed Internet router so it has limited performances when used as such. However if you clean up the configuration of IP inspect or other stuff to make it efficient, you should obtain much more than what you measured now.

Thanks for your response.  I guess you'll have to be a little more specific.  I am not a CCIE with 20 years experience.  I don't know, nor understand what you are talking about.  All I know is that I have a Fast Ethernet connection on the WAN and it only runs 34Mbps max currently.

There is no CCIE talk ot anything like that in my reply above. If you do not uderstand a specific word or sentence, please mention which it is.

You can try to disable QoS (Traffic Shaping on WAN aka Internet Connection) and to disable firewall on security tab; I think these are the first two things to test!

Arturo.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

You won't get that kind of performance out of the UC500 because it physically does not support those speeds.

This chart shows raw line speed for each ISR.  The UC500 shares the same chassis as the 1861.  When you add on NAT, DHCP and ACL's it slows down the speed.  I think 25Mbps is about right.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Hi Marcus,

if the UC500 using the same chassis as the 1861, I think you can get near of 100Mbps because ultimately the router has a PPS over 140000 (not all packets are 64 bytes)... before you throw in the towel, it is preferable to control three things you definitely can affect the performance: Traffic shape, Firewall, ACL... just to see what most influences the performance and if you can work on it to reduce the impact. I guess ultimately not it comes to working 24 hours to 100Mbps so you can guarantee at least the peaks and / or moments of saturation.

If things are as you say I would have more than one router in difficulty, I sincerely I did pay attention to PPS and I bet that packets of 1500 bytes are still many; but I do not want responsibility for the choice of others .

Arturo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: