cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520-32U-8FXO-K9 and Cisco Switches

ddolbel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a UC520-32U-8FXO-K9 for home to replace my asterisk box, however I see that a Cisco Catalyst Express 520 switch is required,

I use 3750 switches at home, do I need to use the Catalyst Express 520 or can I continue to use my 3750's

thanks for your time and effort.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

The UC-520 will work brilliantly with the 3750, you will just need to configure up all the relevant VLAN and Switchport roles up manually (By hand) but if you have a 3750 this means you are a CLI Jockey and in theory should know what you are doing Unless you are using Cisco Configuration professional

Since you are buying a used UC-520 and I am doubtful it is still under SmartNet or at best SBCS, and since it is a Home system you most likely wont want to spend the money purchasing a new support contract, so in theory the system wont be granted upgrade privileges, so you might be stuck on an older Software Pack, not a bad thing but not a good thing either

If you are privileged for upgrades make sure you get the right software pack for the device, the CME/CUE builds are different between the revisions, and YES there is a different between the UC-520 and UC-540, they may not have the same hardware inside (Older UC-540 models might) discovered this when I opened them up to compare Oh and the CME feature packs may also be different, they are between the ISR CME and even the UC-560 CME/CUE is slight different to the little brother 520/540 versions.

And Please do not buy a second hand CE-520 switch, Cisco made them EOL and EOS quickly for a reason

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

dschlicht
Level 1
Level 1

No problem using non Cisco small business switches as you mention. What you won't be able to do, though, is manage them via the cca software...but based on you saying you have 3750's already this likely will not be an issue.

But why buy end of sale product?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the reply what do you mean end of sale product, I thought the UC520's are still a current product....?

Yes they are end of sale. You can still use the 3750's with the UC540 and 560.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/end_of_life_notice_c51-655215.html

Basically there are also no more software packs being release as far as I’m aware also for the UC520.

Shame really because you could get Tac support on these, now we have to have SBS support on the UC540 and 560. Saying this I have had get experiences with SBS support recently.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7293/prod_models_comparison.html

I may be wrong, but I the images and the software pack are the same for all platforms, so unless Cisco intentionally prevents that, the UC520 should be able to run future releases.

ddolbel
Level 1
Level 1

Paolo

thanks for the info, I guess it will be a gamble I might take so to speak.

thanks again

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

The UC-520 will work brilliantly with the 3750, you will just need to configure up all the relevant VLAN and Switchport roles up manually (By hand) but if you have a 3750 this means you are a CLI Jockey and in theory should know what you are doing Unless you are using Cisco Configuration professional

Since you are buying a used UC-520 and I am doubtful it is still under SmartNet or at best SBCS, and since it is a Home system you most likely wont want to spend the money purchasing a new support contract, so in theory the system wont be granted upgrade privileges, so you might be stuck on an older Software Pack, not a bad thing but not a good thing either

If you are privileged for upgrades make sure you get the right software pack for the device, the CME/CUE builds are different between the revisions, and YES there is a different between the UC-520 and UC-540, they may not have the same hardware inside (Older UC-540 models might) discovered this when I opened them up to compare Oh and the CME feature packs may also be different, they are between the ISR CME and even the UC-560 CME/CUE is slight different to the little brother 520/540 versions.

And Please do not buy a second hand CE-520 switch, Cisco made them EOL and EOS quickly for a reason

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David

thanks for the details information, it was greatly appreciated,

I'm still looking into the right model to get for home.

and the info you have provided has greatly assisted.

Thanks again

One last suggestion

Consider looking at an ISR 2800 series, even a 2810 would be great, you just have to make sure it has CME IOS revision and has at worst an AIM module, I have seen these on Ebay really cheap.

And with Cisco Configuration Professional you can now configure the ISR's voice as easily as you can with CCA, whilst I would always promote the UC's, the ISR are also a kick A** system as well , and fun to work with if you love CLI and know how to program them via CLI.

Just another suggestion

Cheers,

David.