Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 compact flash backup

danny.williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am possibly going to have to upgrade my UC520 from version 7.0 to get support for the new SPA phones. Before i do so I would like to take an image of the flash card, so that in the event of a problem i can go back to the original setup. Is there an easy and safe way to achieve this?

I have read about some issues with the size limitations of the 128Mb flash in the original UC520 (which i have). Is this likely to cause me a problem when upgrading to version 8 from CCA 3 ?

Thanks

Dan

3 Replies 3

dany_bongen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

what you can do is:

- Take out hte CF card from uC, insert it in a CF reader and create a backup of the files

- Take an archive to a FTP or TFTP Server using the following command:

#archive tar /create tftp://tftpserverIP/Tar filename flash:

I recently updated a uC520 to v. 8.1.0 and i have 23 MB left. There shouldn't be a problem if you don't install too many phone loads.

mtempro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dan,

Be mindful that CUE also has an internal 1GB flash card internally.  So if you're using CCA your best bet will probably be the Configuration Archive tool in the Maintenance drawer of CCA, as this will back up both CME and CUE.  Like Dany mentioned by using CCA to perform the upgrade you can select exactly which phone loads to include in the upgrade so only check the ones you currently need, if not your 128mb flash would be quickly overwhelmed.

You can never have too many backups so in the event of a failed upgrade and you need to rollback I would also save a copy of the running/startup config off to a tftp server and try a manual backup of cue from the web.

Regards,

Marvin

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dan,

Going to throw in my thoughts into the mix as well

Steps I would take:

• Run the command "copy start flash:
  • Log into the CUE and do a "show run" and take a snapshot of that CUE running configuration and paste it into a text file.. NOTE: If you are using putty, then you need to make sure that its configure to allow for 50000 lines of code so you can do a lengthy screen scroll back... NOTE-2: This only makes a backup of the running configuration, it will not back-up VM's or the inboxes, purely used for emergency backups to get AA or Temp VM working in the event of a complete failure
  • Do the same for the CME as well and copy it to a txt file on your computer, the one on the flash card is a second backup

Alternatively if CCA is an option (Doubtful of that if it is a full CLI built system) then you can use the archiving system of CCA which will back up all_and_Sundry, although if you are upgrading the likelihood of the restoring the backup from an older CME/CUE version is not favorable, if it was one version back possibly but more than one usually has some issues.

Also I point out if you are using CCA to do the upgrade, and if it gives you the option to format the flash card, choose that option, and then only install the phone loads you will be using, the 128MB card is a very tight fit at best

Just ma thoughts

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *