cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 FXO Port to VM

percyhoff01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with a UC520 that has two analog lines in. Frequently both lines are in use and they are missing calls. I suggested it might be time to add another line. They called the Telco and someone told them that they don't need another line that the CISCO will forward to voicemail. I am having trouble understanding how this can work if both the lines in are in use.

Am I missing something???

If anyone can answer this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

dkirk
Level 1
Level 1

The Telco is incorrect. With only two FXO lines open, there is no path for the third call. For small systems of two lines, I recommend to the client to use the Telco voicemail (on the lines). Place the lines on a set (As Co Type Lines) so the client can use the button to dial the * code to access the telco voicemail system.

The Cisco voicemail system is internal voicemails only.

You will need to set the call-forward noan timeout to a duration lower than the telco. That way, the telco voicemail will engage before the UC520 does on calls that are not answered.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

I think you will find that the Telco was referring to their own VM system, if they weren't then clearly they have no clue what they are talking about and need to go back and get some training.

If you are going to upgrade to more than 4X FXO lines at any stage, then I would recommend you go down the ISDN path, much more better technology which does not suffer the same issues as an Analogue service, such as line lock-ups etc..

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David is right about FXO's, old tech with some headaches, though it can serve as a reliable backup to your primary ISDN or SIP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: