Replies

UC520 - IP Phone Issues

brian.russell31
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I have a UC520 running the latest software packs. I have 3 IP Phones:

Cisco 7975G which functions as it should

Cisco 7937 Conference phone - As this phone is not always connected and I only use it when I need to. Thus when I connect it to the UC520 it seems to get stuck on booting and continues to reboot. I have to power cycle the UC520 to eventually get this phone to connect. However I do have the latest firmware for this phone: cmterm-7937-1-4-4-SCCP.cop.sgn how I spent all weekend to find out how to load this firmware to the uc520 and I could only find documentation to load the phone to call manager rather than call manager express. Could someone please guide me on this as I think this is causing my issue.

My last issue is that I use the latest IP Communicator on my windows 7 laptop. However it works, but I can not change any settings like rings, background etc as it says not available. I also checked the cisco support site and followed the instructions but to no avail. Could someone let me know which phone profile i should use to have full features on the communcator.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

11 Replies 11

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brian,

Cisco 7937 Conference phone - As this phone is not always connected and I  only use it when I need to. Thus when I connect it to the UC520 it  seems to get stuck on booting and continues to reboot. I have to power  cycle the UC520 to eventually get this phone to connect.

It would be handy to get the model/type of switch it is connecting too, and also if possible a "debug tftp event" from the terminal to see if it is reaching the UC when you plug it in, the whole rebooting the UC to get it to work is not good and is a concerning issue.

However I do have the latest firmware for this phone:  cmterm-7937-1-4-4-SCCP.cop.sgn how I spent all weekend to find out how  to load this firmware to the uc520 and I could only find documentation  to load the phone to call manager rather than call manager express.  Could someone please guide me on this as I think this is causing my  issue.

In any event I would always recommend using CCA to do this, it is usually a simple process of "Drag-N-Drop" the new firmware onto the UC in the topology window, but I also understand that this may not work all the time due to various reasons (Some annoying ones).

If you are forced to do it via CLI then you will need to make sure the tftp-server information is in there, and the loads loaded up in the telephony-service section, and before those two, you will need to make sure that the file is on the flash card, normally located in the "phones>7937" directory, the easiest way to do this is to use a compact flash card reader and do a direct transfer, if this is not suitable then you need to use a tftp client like 3Cdaemon or Solar Winds.

My last issue is that I use the latest IP Communicator on my windows 7  laptop. However it works, but I can not change any settings like rings,  background etc as it says not available. I also checked the cisco  support site and followed the instructions but to no avail. Could  someone let me know which phone profile i should use to have full  features on the communcator.

This has been an ongoing issue have never worked it out myself so cant help you with it, but it would be good to get one of the Cisco team members to respond to this question.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Many Thanks David......

@Cisco, Can you respond to the question that David can not answer?

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

I had an issue with the conference phone a few weeks ago, turned out they don’t like UC500’s setup with non US locale. Could you have the same issue?

Craig.

Ah ha Craig, I have set the default UK-English... I may change the phone region tonight and see if this helps with the conference phone....

@Cisco, Is this something you could look into the major release coming in Jan 2012?

Ours was setup uk English as well

The phone constantly reloading. As soon as I changed to US local, did a create cnf files the phone registered straight away.

Craig, would you be able to send me the instructions on how to create the CNF file for the 7937 I have tried this in the past and for reason it created all the CNF files for all the phones and pretty much filled up my flash card.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Brian,

Here is the CLI commands needed:

Config T

Telephony-Service

network-locale US

user-locale US

no create cnf-files

create cnf-files

If you have any questions, let us know.

Thank you,

Darren

Hi,

You can set the cnf file location and configuration mode this way. E.g. per phone type and not per phone.

Telephony-Service

cnf-file location flash:
cnf-file perphonetype

Hope this helps.

Craig.

mdube
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

Sorry to did up this old thread, but I am having the same issue, only, since I can't change the user/network locale to US as the client needs his system to be in french canadian, is there a way to have only the configs files for the 7937 in US so that it stops rebooting every time it is trying to load the language files...

So right now, I have a 7937G rebooting constantly, while trying to load files.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Hello mdube,

Yes it is possible to assign the US locale to just the 7937. In order to do this you will need to create a custom ephone template, assign the locale in that template to be US, and then assign that template to the phone.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-john

Thank you John, worked like a charm!