cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 suddenly corrupted, can anyone offer fast help?

NicP270591
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have launched this case with TAC, but it is on severity 3, and it has been taking days and days with no resolution in sight. I figured I'd post the issue here so that maybe someone could assist, as we need our phones back!

The router is running UC 8.0.5, CCA 3.1.

Last week, phones randomly came up with "CM down, features unavailable" on a periodic basis. Also, voicemail DN would not work and came up with "Unknown Number" when trying to dial. Very odd. I opened CCA and tried logging in to the router, only for the UC520 to come up red on the topology and say "Authentication Failed" or something to that extent, basically saying it was now unreachable. I tried to SSH/Telnet into the router, which actively refused my connection request, several times. Closed for the day and came back on the weekend to discover console and CCA was now magically fine with me logging in. Again, very odd. Logging into CCA, the first thing noticed in the taskbar was that it was having a VLAN conflict detection (strange for the IP of the actual Call Manager, and seeing as this has never, ever been an issue in the past, and nothing in our network has changed one bit). A warning also came up that CUE was now corrupt (hence the VM DN not working), and was constantly rebooting, showing pages of errors and then rebooting in CLI on an endless loop, I could not even command it offline. IP Phones are not registering, though visible on the topology, they cannot get an IP address. All lights, fans, etc are perfectly normal on the router, it just all of a sudden has majorly crashed in the software sense, for no apparent reason. Powering on/off the unit, even a reset to factory default has done nothing to fix these sudden worrying problems. CCA will get half way through loading a saved backup config, and then say it is unable to load the file, and then cancel. Anything you try to enter (eg Telephony Wizard) starts with the normal "discovering everything" loading bar, and then when it gets to the end of the loading bar, it backs off about a quarter inch, reloads to completed (all blue) again, backs off a quarter inch again, etc etc. I have been working with TAC sending off configs, but with a 72 hour response time and no simple resolution in sight, it is becoming impossible, and unreasonable to have our phones offline for so long. Analog handsets plugged straight into the PSTN is getting very old very fast, when you do not have all of the call handling features you are used to.

My main worry, is that the UC520 is likely toast and also likely not under warranty anymore, and I'd rather not have to explain why a multi-thousand dollar, "Rolls Royce" of phone systems just suddenly crapped itself for no reason, and now we need to somehow budget in for a new one, and hope this doesnt happen again with the next box later on down the road. Furthermore, I have just seen that the UC520 is going end-of-life (shame, a great shame), and that it's replacement the UC540 has locked out CLI and TAC support in favor of CCA and SMB/SBCS "Linksys" type support. As great as CCA is for ease of use, it is hardly suitable as the only programming method, so many times during configuration of our 520, we have typed in this, or clicked that, pressed confirm, sent the changes to the 520 and yet they didn't actually work, so we'd much rather keep a working 520 with CLI than go to a new 540 with only CCA!

(P.S., does anyone know if the UC540 at least has a CME interface so DN's, changes and such can be done through a web GUI at least? We have found this option preferable over CCA and even CLI at times. If CME web GUI access is not available on the 540, and we need a 540, we will not be impressed, especially considering CLI is not available to begin with!)

Anyway, back to the 520, before anyone asks for config postings, etc, can anyone experienced suggest what the heck is going on, and maybe how it can be fixed? Or anyone have a similar experience and know how it turned out? Too bad there isnt a place closeby I can send it to to have an expert try and fix it, all of the requests by TAC are slow and starting to go beyond my basic level of understanding, which does not help things, so I'm getting a little desperate here!!

Thanks in advance,

Nic.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dliao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you let us know your image file name ? both CME and CUE.

I do not remember that we had UC 8.0.5 released for UC520.

You might pick the wrong package.

-David

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dliao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you let us know your image file name ? both CME and CUE.

I do not remember that we had UC 8.0.5 released for UC520.

You might pick the wrong package.

-David

Hi David,

Cisco ended up noting that the problem was hardware related. A new router has been supplied.

Thanks!

Nic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: