Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 upgrade to 8.6 fail

Hello there.  I ran into an interesting problem.  I have this UC520 here that I wanted to update with the 8.6.0 package.  So, I let CCA go to town and to the upgrade.  However, upon final reboot, nothing was happening.  So i got into the serial interface and the UC520 was stuck in rommon> mode.  I tried to issue the boot command and it go through and complained about a software forced crash.  in fact the actual checksum error message was as follows:

rommon 31 > reset

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(11r)XW, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.

UC500 series platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Readonly ROMMON initialized
program load complete, entry point: 0x80015000, size: 0xb700
program load complete, entry point: 0x80015000, size: 0xb700

program load complete, entry point: 0x80020000, size: 0x280c288
Self decompressing the image : ##################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################### [OK]

Error : uncompressed image checksum is incorrect 0xC8778C32
        Expected a checksum of 0xC8778B92

*** System received a Software forced crash ***
signal= 0x17, code= 0x9, context= 0x80026434
PC = 0x0, Vector = 0x0, SP = 0x0

I then extracted the IOS image from the UC540 version of the 8.6 package, installed it using rommon tftpdnld and booted with that.  I get the same error.

I then extracted the IOS image from the 8.2 package and installed on a flash and that boots fine.

If anyone has suggestions or has seen this error before and has a workaround, i would love to hear about your experiences.

BTW - I have successfully installed that 8.6 image on several UC540's - just not UC520 boxes.

Chris

8 Replies 8

johschaf
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Chris,

Did you download software pack 8.6 for the UC520 or are you trying to use a 8.6 software pack from a UC540 or UC560?

Thanks,

-john

Heya John;

I have 520, 540, and 560 "kits" since i service several clients.  even though i am on old-school CLI guy, I use the upgrade feature of CCA since it saves me time during upgrade.  I do not have to manually have to upload tidbits and organize accordingly.  So since it is CCA, the upgrade feature is smart enough to realize "Hey, I'm working on a 520 and not a 540 so this package is wrong"

So - needless to say, i installed the 520 package.  It failed - and in my original post you can see the output of the console.

So I then went and extracted just the IOS images one at a time so I could tftp copy into a spare flashcard until i could get something that would boot - so it was the uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.151-2.T4 from the 8.2 package that worked for me.  In the 8.6 package, we have an interim release in there uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M4b - definitely not part of the 'T' train at all...

I did not download these packages from the normal CCO site i get them at, but at the website https://upload.cisco.com

Hello Chris,

Thanks for that information. M4b is the right IOS version. Since the IOS is failing the checksum validation, can you try redownloading the software pack?

Thanks,

-john

Hello John;

I will do just that and report back - probably this PM

About 2 weeks ago, I did a similar upgrade with CCA 3.2.1. It failed on the final reload and ended up on ROMMON. After several hours of trying to reupload the M4b IOS, he went back to the latest IOS 12.xxxx version available. We tried again the next day with no luck. It kept getting a checksum fail when doing a verify on the file after uploading. Downloaded the file several times from Cisco. They thought it might be the flash card and were going to replace it.

I finally tried myself another day using a different TFTP on a different machine and it seems to clear the checksum and booted fun...Then the fun began.

I've had issues with the phones resetting (which is why I'm scanning the boards for solutions) and the phones are unable to get the proper DHCP designated IP's for the phones and the TFTP is not reachable. As well, one of our VPN connections went down. The past week or so have been brutally unstable, so I'm not sure if it's the IOS or the 'fixes' and restores that have been done since then. Just thought I'd put my story out there in case you start getting the same symptoms. I'm working on this last fix, and if it doesn't work, I may go back to 8.2.0 to see if everything goes back to normal. I'm actually sitting here waiting for TAC to call

Hello George;

Interesting that you ran into this as well.  I used 3cdaemon for the tftp server to redo the M4b from the 540 upgrade package and the 520 package.  Considering the only way you can recover is to do a rommon tftpdnld i know that i am not encountering anything whacky from the CCA.

ONLY when i downgraded the image to 151-2.T4 was i able to boot.  So basically, i have a flash card (in its final form) where all of the parts are 8.6 but the IOS image is from 8.2

Oh, and any info when the ATA187 is going to be supported?

Chris

Hello Chris,

Did you redownload the SWP? If so, did that make any difference with your issue?

I don't have any info on when the ATA187 will be supported. It is only SIP capable, so that probably adds another wrinkle since the ATA186 was SCCP.

Thanks,

-john

Barry Hunsinger
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem with the uc520. After several tries I set the install to factory reset the uc520 and it worked. I had extensive customization on the box that I had to redo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: