cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC540 - DID question

devin.culp
Level 1
Level 1

If I need 10 direct inward dialing  phone numbers and another 10 phone numbers available for the outgoing trunk would a PRI be sufficient? I have users that want a dedicated phone number to connect directly to there extension so they can add it to thier business cards. I just want to make sure that this is an option when I go into CCA that I can select the PRI trunk for DID.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Devin,

PRI will 100% do what you want

In CCA you control the incoming calls based on the in-dial called and do the call routing rules there, it is fairly simple and straight forward to do, CCA will do the translation profiles for you, also the translation rules, not to mention the Dial-Peer configuration and DN configuration to support this, a few click will write approximate 22 lines of code for you

But what you wont be able to do with CCA is partition the PRI trunk for outbound calling and inbound calling I.E reserving X amount of lines for incoming and reserve X amount of lines for out going, the UC will use all available channels (Not unless that has changed).

You can however also add the DID number to the user so that way when they call out it presents a CLID belonging to that extension, thus all calls can come back to that extension, you may not want this for everyone so you can do a partitioning if you like based on this

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

Hi Devin,

This should not be the case

For instance with any PRI system you will either be given 1 number by the carrier or groups of 10/20/50/100 depending on your location, one of those numbers will be designated as the GDN or General Dial-In Number, unless you specify a particular user to be receiving or making calls from a designated number, all calls will go out with the number presentation of the GDN, this is the power of PRI over analogue trunks.... Well actually BRI can also do this if you get a number range over the ISDN/2 service, don't know why you would want to but many do it

If I am still not assuring you let me know and I will break it down even further for you

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi Devin,

Good article Might have written a couple of things differently

Going PRI is a pretty good choice, many don't realize just how good it is until they have used it for a while and then decide one day to cut costs and go back to a inferior service, some have even lost their jobs from doing that

Keep in mind PRI has been around for quite a while, these days people are also turning to SIP trunking which can achieve exactly what a PRI does, but gives you the many more benefits that come associated with commercial grade SIP trunks, there is a difference between commercial grade and residential grade SIP trunks as well just as an FYI.

Don't exclude looking into SIP trunking in the future either

Cheers,

David.

5 Replies 5

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Devin,

PRI will 100% do what you want

In CCA you control the incoming calls based on the in-dial called and do the call routing rules there, it is fairly simple and straight forward to do, CCA will do the translation profiles for you, also the translation rules, not to mention the Dial-Peer configuration and DN configuration to support this, a few click will write approximate 22 lines of code for you

But what you wont be able to do with CCA is partition the PRI trunk for outbound calling and inbound calling I.E reserving X amount of lines for incoming and reserve X amount of lines for out going, the UC will use all available channels (Not unless that has changed).

You can however also add the DID number to the user so that way when they call out it presents a CLID belonging to that extension, thus all calls can come back to that extension, you may not want this for everyone so you can do a partitioning if you like based on this

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

David.

The  concern now is if a user dials out they can potentially use one of the DID numbers. Does the telco control which channels are accessed first to be used when a user dials out for a PRI trunk. Not sure how that works.

Hi Devin,

This should not be the case

For instance with any PRI system you will either be given 1 number by the carrier or groups of 10/20/50/100 depending on your location, one of those numbers will be designated as the GDN or General Dial-In Number, unless you specify a particular user to be receiving or making calls from a designated number, all calls will go out with the number presentation of the GDN, this is the power of PRI over analogue trunks.... Well actually BRI can also do this if you get a number range over the ISDN/2 service, don't know why you would want to but many do it

If I am still not assuring you let me know and I will break it down even further for you

Cheers,

David.

devin.culp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Devin,

Good article Might have written a couple of things differently

Going PRI is a pretty good choice, many don't realize just how good it is until they have used it for a while and then decide one day to cut costs and go back to a inferior service, some have even lost their jobs from doing that

Keep in mind PRI has been around for quite a while, these days people are also turning to SIP trunking which can achieve exactly what a PRI does, but gives you the many more benefits that come associated with commercial grade SIP trunks, there is a difference between commercial grade and residential grade SIP trunks as well just as an FYI.

Don't exclude looking into SIP trunking in the future either

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: