cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

uc540 setup in a existing network using cca

lzuniga99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I need to setup UC540 in a existing network using the existing DHCP server, the dhcp provides also the default gateway to the clients, this gateway is an adsl modem.

Is posible to do this setup with the setup wizard for the uc540 in the initial configuration using CCA?.

I want to have the uc540 with 10.101.14, the existing dhcp is 10.101.1.2, and the default gateway is 10.101.3.

what do you recomend in this case?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

Yes this is entirely possible, the following would be the simplified procedure:

• Connect the UC to a system
  • Go through the entire Telephony Wizard
  • Change the Subnets as required
  • After the installation finishes and the system reboots, you will need to enter the system in CLI mode and remove the "ip dhcp data pool" and the system will be fine to place into an existing network

Hope this helps

If you need further clarification please post again.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

mtempro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It's entirely possible without the use of CLI.  Under Configure => Routing => DHCP Server => DHCP Exclusions.  Create an exclusion to exclude the entire range of IPs in that subnet.  For e.g. for the default ip address of vlan 192.168.10.0, I usually configure an exclusion for 192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.255.

Cheers,

Marvin

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

Yes this is entirely possible, the following would be the simplified procedure:

• Connect the UC to a system
  • Go through the entire Telephony Wizard
  • Change the Subnets as required
  • After the installation finishes and the system reboots, you will need to enter the system in CLI mode and remove the "ip dhcp data pool" and the system will be fine to place into an existing network

Hope this helps

If you need further clarification please post again.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thanks for your answer, in fact it worked, but what if the installer doesn't know how to use cli ?

There is a contradiction in the Cisco advertising and the real life, Cisco encourage the select partners to sell this product under the expectation they don't have to be ccna or cli experts because CCA is supposed to do the job, but the reality is very different.

I found in the cca dhcp pools can be deleted, may be this can cause the same efect as cli, but i didn't have chance to test yet.

best regards,

laurence.

There is technically no contradiction since Cisco didnt advise you to use CLI :-)

Dave is a partner and a friend, and this is a partner community, and since the product has been around for many years, the CLI knowledge is out there.  You are free to accept this advise or not.

The 4/4/2011 policy did take effect, and you are correct.  We dont support CLI.  Unless you have Express, Advanced or Master UC specialization, and understand that once you go CLI, we cant support CCA or OM any longer, and you become a CLI practice.  We will still support you that way under those conditions.

Part of the responsibility of the partner is to understand BEFORE you take the boxes to the site, what it can and cant do. As you mentioned, you are going to test it.  Hopefully you are doing this on a system on your own practice.  This also cuts down of frustration you will have waiting in queue if your in the 'hot seat' under the paying customers nose:-(

We do have a very nice Feature Description Guide which details what you can expect from CCA for UC540 and UC560.  In this case, CCA doesnt support DHCP pool removal until CCA 3.1.  That is the official answer.

Now, there is some good advise here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3332893#3332893

The SBSC does have the ability to take high runner cases (like this one) and escalate them to the Developers and get 'approval' to enter CLI that wont break CCA.  I think this may already have a workaround that can be documented in your case and not void your support.   But please do understand the test cycle is long and we dont promise or commit turnaround time for these, but its always worth the check to see what may be approved already.

It is a struggle to make a very flexible IOS/CME/CUE product requiring skill and knowledge suitable for GUI operation.  It doesnt work hybrid.

I hope this helps and wish you success with the product.

Hi Steven is good to hear from you, thanks for the official answer.  I appreciate David's advice, when we are in this kind of situations any advice that  is welcome.

By the way, there is phone number to get support for this product for Costa Rican customers ?

What about service contracts, someone told me they are not available yet for Costa Rica, is that correct?

Fortunately we bought this UC540 for internal use, testing and trainning in order to know what to expect before going customer sites, because we're new in the UC500 neighborhood so we  don't want hot seat situations with customers, we are using latest CCA version available for download.

For us is very important to know what the box can do and what it can't, but we just found  "quick reference guides", and datasheets, there is some comprehensive guide or manual about this box that covers all features, how to set them, and cli commands supported?

We had many problems a couple of days ago trying to complete setup wizard to integrate the box to our network, , so I think is good idea to let know this to developers team to allow in futer CCA versions improve functionality to integrate the box in existing networks, in example:

-When setting up data newtork we put 10.101.1.4 for UC540,  the default gateway we put 10.101.1.3 (our existing router connected to internet), but for my surprise after setup wizar was completed, and  reconnected to UC540, it had the address of that router, 10.101.1.3, and was no longer accesible by 10.101.1.4. After this something happended and we couldn't to restart the system to factory defaults, and started getting tftp errors.

-In the Wan Setup, we don't needed to setup wan interface because we already had a router doing the job, but there is no way to tell CCA during initial setup we don't need the wan interface, is mandatory to specify it the wan has a dhcp, static, or ppoe  address, so after setup is completed we had to go to internet setup in cca and deleted the wan setup.

-The CCA works very nice for customers with new networks and is very nice and easy to setup, but the develop team should have in mind the most of customers have already a network, with existing dhcp, dns, servers and internet connection, so the tool should address this in order we don't have to go CLI unless absolutely neccesary.

best regards and thanks for your answer

Thanks - solved my problem.
I was beginning to hate the 540. It has grown on me. A little.

mtempro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It's entirely possible without the use of CLI.  Under Configure => Routing => DHCP Server => DHCP Exclusions.  Create an exclusion to exclude the entire range of IPs in that subnet.  For e.g. for the default ip address of vlan 192.168.10.0, I usually configure an exclusion for 192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.255.

Cheers,

Marvin

Thanks Marvin.

There are issues with just excluding the entire data dhcp pool.  Even though there are no addresses available, the dhcp server would still respond to dhcp requests.  You would still be advised to remove the dhcp pool, and then add a "helper address" on the data Vlan.  Today, you can only remove the dhcp pool though CLI, but you will have the ability to do this with CCA when the next version becomes available.

Thank you,

Darren

ip helper address would only applicable if the clients and the dhcp server are on different subnets, i don't believe that to be the case here.  When you have multiple dhcp servers on a network they will all respond to the dhcp discover broadcast and the client accepts the first dhcp offer it receives.  By configuring the entire range of IPs in the exclusion you're effectively disabling dhcp for that subnet but it will still respond to request on voice vlan 100.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: