cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC540 with two SIP registrations

gsiellisito
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UC540 with service from Nextiva. Even thou I have multiple phone numbers on my account I am not able to tell the UC540 to send specific incoming lines to a certain extension. So they have said that I need to register that number again to create anohter set of Digest Auth. credentials. I have that but I cannot figure out how to register the same SIP provider twice on the UC540 . Here is what I typed in:

sip-ua

credentials username 757450295 password 7 ###### realm 208.73.146.95

credentials username 676677929 password 7 ###### realm 208.73.146.95

authentication username 757450295 password 7 ######   <=== first set

authentication username 676677929 password 7 ###### realm 208.73.146.95   <= second set

no remote-party-id

retry invite 2

retry register 10

timers connect 100

registrar ipv4:208.73.146.95:5060 expires 3600

sip-server ipv4:208.73.146.95:5060

host-registrar

When i do that only one device registers and not the next. What am I doing wrong and/or is there a way the UC540 can just know what phone number it has incomming so that I can tell it where to go?

And yes...I'm slightly new at this so forgive me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wireguided
Level 1
Level 1

I had been hunting down the same issue for a few weeks now. Today I finally spoke to a solid Cisco support tech who told me that multiple trunks on the UC540 is officially 'not supported'. He mentioned that the document you probably looked at to get the above config (I read it up and down and tried every combo) was not for a UC540 and it would not work. His fellow tech next to him had tried for a few days to get it to work in the lab but with no luck.

The issue comes from the fact that Nextiva sends the AUTH code of the trunk to the U540 instead of the number dialed (DID). If it sent the DID then you could just route that way in the inbound rules.

So, it looks like me and you are in the same boat, looking for a new SIP trunk provider.

I know bandwidth.com sends the DID but their support is not the best. Can anyone provide a list of SIP trunk providers that send the DID and do not require multiple registrations for each line?

-Tim

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

wireguided
Level 1
Level 1

I had been hunting down the same issue for a few weeks now. Today I finally spoke to a solid Cisco support tech who told me that multiple trunks on the UC540 is officially 'not supported'. He mentioned that the document you probably looked at to get the above config (I read it up and down and tried every combo) was not for a UC540 and it would not work. His fellow tech next to him had tried for a few days to get it to work in the lab but with no luck.

The issue comes from the fact that Nextiva sends the AUTH code of the trunk to the U540 instead of the number dialed (DID). If it sent the DID then you could just route that way in the inbound rules.

So, it looks like me and you are in the same boat, looking for a new SIP trunk provider.

I know bandwidth.com sends the DID but their support is not the best. Can anyone provide a list of SIP trunk providers that send the DID and do not require multiple registrations for each line?

-Tim

You hit right on the money Tim. That is exactly what they do. It doesnt allow the UC540 to take full control and  re-route incomming calls. No matter how many numbers u have on the account it still see's it all as one.

I'm the proccess of checking out Broadview Netorks. They have confirmed with me that I can do what I am asking for and they are familiar with the UC500 series. The downfall is that I am tied to a contract. Gonna try them out for a year and see how it goes.

Best of luck to you!

Ellis

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ellis,

Did you create a second DN for that SIP trunk with the registration credentials?

Your first DN should look something similar to this:

ephone-dn  555

number 757450295

description SIP Main Number registration

preference 10

If you are using CCA to do this, it should have created a second one (The DN may not be sequential either) and it should have that second number listed I.E:

ephone-dn  556

number 676677929

description SIP Main Number registration

preference 10

Alternatively if you are using CLI to configure this, then you can just setup the second one yourself

Don't forget if you are using translation rules/profiles, you will need to create another ruling in the same rule/profile for that second SIP registration, this will allow you to route the call to its correct destination.

NOTE: The DN registration string may actually be different to the SIP registration (Yes I know sounds weird right) The ITSP may require you to use the SIP/DID number instead of the username, some ITSP have this type of setup, so please keep that in mind.

I hope this gives you a path to work on, if you need further clarification or even if I need it due to misreading what you wrote, post back and let us know

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: