cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC560 where to start?

j-belanger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, hope someone could help me on this one... We just received a UC560 with 2 cisco phones. One 514G and one 7962. This is just a demo product that cisco sent us so we can try it in our environment and if it does the job then we might purchase multiple phones and UC560.

But where to start? I downloaded the Cisco configuration assistant from Cisco download page and I can communicate with the UC560 and I can see the phones in the software too but they are coming as unregistered and I cannot find where to register them.

Any help would be appreciate... I'm just a beginner in the VoIP world...

Thanks in advance.

Jas

4 Replies 4

johschaf
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

If this is an initial configuration I would suggest doing the Telephony Setup Wizard("TSW"), which will walk you through the initial configuration. If you skip the TSW, you can configure the phones manually under Configure -> Telephony -> Users and Extensions -> Users and Phones. If the UC has auto detected the phones, you might see the phones there, but with no info next to the extension and user information. If you don't see anything there, add the phones in then.

Since you are using a 560, I'm assuming you have a switch to connect the phones to the UC? You will need to make sure you have Vlan100 on the switch to support the phones. If the switch is a Cisco Small Business switch you should be able to add it to the CCA site, which will then allow CCA to manage the switch.

Thanks,

-john

So far the phones are on VLAN100 and are detected by the UC560 and I was able to assign an extension to them but the phones are staying unregistered.  I used the TSW to do the initial setup and it worked without any problems but I cannot get rid of the unregistered thing.  I found that it can happen when the phones are not provisioned.  The UC560 has all the config of the 2 phones so the phones should register isn't?

Let me know if you have any other suggestion that I can try.

Thanks in advance.

Jas

Ben M Johnson
Level 4
Level 4

If you want to really get into voice, take the time and learn the underlying components of the UC500 platform.

If you are familiar with SBS server from Microsoft, you know that it's a combo of several of their servers with wizards built over them - the UC500 is a lot like this.

1) Use this link as a starting point, though the labs etc are a bit outdated -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9836

2) INE.com has their CCNA Voice training online for FREE - I wish that Cisco made this a requirement for selling the UC 500 - If I had simply watched their training prior to jumping in both feet first, I would have made more money and saved a lot of time and frustration because the elements explained in the CCNA Voice training (excluding UCM) explain what is going on on the UC 500 behind the scenes.

http://www.ine.com/all-access-pass/training/playlist/ccna-voice-v8/

Good luck! (the UC320 is a lot kinder little IP PBX)

Brian Rapier
Level 1
Level 1

You can try factory reseting the phones.  This may fix the issue if those phones were regiestered on another system prior to you getting your hands on them.

For the 514 click the settings button and scroll down, I think it will be #7.  Not sure on the 7962 but its in there somewhere.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: