Views
Helpful
Replies

UC560 with 2960s / 3560X switches

Sherwin Clarke
Level 1
Level 1

Seeking some advice, help!

I would like to install a UC560 system using the switches mentioned above. These are the phones that are likely to be in use: SPA504G, SPA514G, 7965G & 7962G, CP-7911 and the CP-6921. 

Question: Do you think that there will be any compatibility problem especially with the SPA500 phones and these non-recommended catalyst switches?  Also do I have to purchase any license with these phones like a station license or RTU etc....?  I noticed there are different part numbers for the 7965G, 7962G, 7911, such as

CP-7965G

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G

CP-7965G=

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G, spare

CP-7965G-CH1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G, for Channels, with one station user license

CP-7965G-CCME

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G, for Channels, with one Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express station user license

Which one do I need to purchase for it to work with a UC560 system?  This is the note that is on the data sheet for Unified IP Phones 7900 and 6900 series phone: "Note: All Cisco Unified IP Phones require the purchase of a phone technology license, regardless of call protocol being used".

If I need phone technology license how do I get them? And what's with the station license as well? so confusing...

Thanks.

SC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

There is not a special license needed to use the 7900 or 6900 phones with the UC560.  Just the seat licenses that I mentioned earlier.  If you have questions about specific models of phones and their interoperability you will find the list below very helpful.  This link shows the phones and firmware loads currently deployed on the UC500 platforms. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9827

If you have further questions about the part number of the enterprise phones you may want to reach out to enterprise support or contact your partner for additional information.

I hope this clears things up.

Thank you,

Jason Nickle

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

janickle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sherwin,

The switches that you mentioned will work fine with the UC560.  When you configure the switches just set up a trunk port going back to the UC and make sure that the vlan’s created on the UC560 (1, 100 and 90 by default) are created on the switches.

When adding the phones to the switches you will configure those ports for the switchport voice vlan’s.  I have included some documentation below to help you with the switch configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_11_yj/configuration/guide/swvoip.html

As for your phones… Each phone will take up a seat on the UC.  So if you just have the default of the 24 licenses pack that comes with software Pack 8.4, You will find that for every phone you register to the UC your available license count will decrease by one.  To put it simply, if you have 15 phones you will take up 15 seats.  If you need additional licenses packs for additional phones (if you have more than 24) you can purchase them using the product SKU L-UC-PRO-8U=  Each license gives you 8 seats.  I have also included the datasheet for the UC560 as reference to the licensing available.  

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/data_sheet_c78-566250.pdf

If you have any further questions let me know.

Thank you,

Jason Nickle

Thanks for the response and clarification regarding the uc560 and the catalyst switches, really helpful

WRT to licensing, I understand how the UC560 user licensing works, in fact we are already catering for an additional 3 X

L-UC-PRO-8U=  in addition to the 24 default user licensing that comes with the UC560.  My concern was are there any other type of phone-specific licence that is mandatory when purchasing the 7900 and 6900  series cisco unified IP phones?

For example,  I need to buy two 7965G phones but there are different part#'s associated with these phones as I list above. 

Can I just go ahead and buy the CP-7965G one (as against the CP-7965G-CH1 or CP-7965G-CCME) since I will be purchasing user licenses separately to address licensing needs?

thx

Hi,

There is not a special license needed to use the 7900 or 6900 phones with the UC560.  Just the seat licenses that I mentioned earlier.  If you have questions about specific models of phones and their interoperability you will find the list below very helpful.  This link shows the phones and firmware loads currently deployed on the UC500 platforms. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9827

If you have further questions about the part number of the enterprise phones you may want to reach out to enterprise support or contact your partner for additional information.

I hope this clears things up.

Thank you,

Jason Nickle