cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UPM Device login configuration fails if PW is shorter than 8 characters

luis.rosello
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to share an issue I ran into, that took me a while to figure out.  Too sumarize, I had no issues installing and accessing all VMs for CUCM, UC, and CUPs as you normally would.  I had them configured with a 7 character application pw, which is perfectly acceptable (6 characters minimun).

While I was configuring these servers in UPM, under deployment\devices, I kept failing authentication to the servers.  I tried all combinations I had, troubleshot connectivity, etc, but everything was fine.  I did get an error stating the the pw was either too short, or too long (pretty generic) even before clicking on test when I would type in the CORRECT 7 character pw.  If I tried the 8 character security pw, it would just fail authentication, as expected, withouth the lenght error poping up.

So I changed the application pw to 8 charactes, and that worked.

Now looking back, the error stating the pw was too short was right on, but with the mindset of having used pwds with less than 8 charactes in the past, and the fact that those pwds were correct, and within specs of what the servers expect it didn't quite make sense to me.

There's an obvious issue between these two servers, maybe a clear warning that if UPM is to be used, 8 character passwords should be used from the get go for your VMs.

1 Reply 1

sbommaji
Level 1
Level 1

Luis,

Good catch. Looks like there is a mismatch between the password length in native applications and UPM. Will pass on the information to hte engineering.

Thanks,

Sunil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: