cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UPS Battery Backup for the UC540

rickrms1966
Level 1
Level 1

My client would like to have their phone system up and running during a power outage for at least 1 hour.  I quoted them one UC540,  18 SPA525g phones and one Pro ESW 520 48 10/100 + 4 GigE Ports phones will be running using  POE.   Does anyone have an recommendations for a UPS battery backup system that can handle this?

2 Replies 2

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I havent seen any Partner responses to your query.  Have you found a system?

I would use the power requirement from all the datasheets to determine what is required.

Steve

dtbullock
Level 1
Level 1

I'm only familiar with the range from http://www.apc.com/, but an SUA750XLI with an additional battery pack is about the cheapest way to get there.  The main criteria to consider are:

* maximum load (translates to 'cannot put more devices on here')

* duration of load (translates to more batteries)

* form factor (rackmount or free-standing)

In the APC SmartUPS range, the 'SUA**XL*' models can take additional battery packs.  The 'SC**' models are entry level and have short run times.  The 'SUA**RM*' models are rack-mountable, and the 'SUA***I' models are free-standing.

The task is basically find the total number of WATTS that the UC5xx, plus ESW switch with maxed out PoE is likely to draw.  Then find the cheapest model that accomodates this maximum number of watts, in the form factor you like, that will take enough batteries to extend the run-time to 1hr.

APC's partner program membership is not onerous.

Note that batteries are a consumable, and if you have more batteries, you have a higher operating expense.